• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQing High Resolution PCM and DSD

Chris Kelly

Do any multi-channel audio/video receivers do this? It would solve the problem of DSD getting converted to PCM, as well as 192KHz PCM getting downsampled.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
EQing in analog is a complete PITA. I design stuff like that, and I avoid doing it unless I have to. A DSP is a million times more flexible.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't hear DSD to PCM conversion. I can't hear downsampling from 192kHz either. Am I missing something?
Good question. OP, just what are the problems you're solving?

OP
C

Chris Kelly

Good question. OP, just what are the problems you're solving?
We know the opposite ways of thinking since DVD-AUDIO came out in the late 90s and SACD in the early 2000s. some people feel digital audio above 44.1-48KHz isn't necessary being that we can't hear above 20KHz. Some people either can hear above 20KHz and feel either that 96KHz sampling and above, as well as DSD, insures stability within the 20Hz-20KHz spectrum, or else provides overtones above 20KHz. The purpose of this thread is not to discuss schools of thought. There are plenty of threads on the internet where that takes place. I just thought EQing in the analog path might be a way of maintaining high-resolution frequency responce without compromising it.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We know the opposite ways of thinking since DVD-AUDIO came out in the late 90s and SACD in the early 2000s. some people feel digital audio above 44.1-48KHz isn't necessary being that we can't hear above 20KHz. Some people either can hear above 20KHz and feel either that 96KHz sampling and above, as well as DSD, insures stability within the 20Hz-20KHz spectrum, or else provides overtones above 20KHz. The purpose of this thread is not to discuss schools of thought. There are plenty of threads on the internet where that takes place. I just thought EQing in the analog path might be a way of maintaining high-resolution frequency responce without compromising it.
You're right, the hi-res stuff is discussed elsewhere. But as I said analog EQ is a beast: tough to adjust frequency, tough to change Q, tough to change the magnitude.

OP
C

Chris Kelly

You're right, the hi-res stuff is discussed elsewhere. But as I said analog EQ is a beast: tough to adjust frequency, tough to change Q, tough to change the magnitude.
Understood. I just thought it might be a way of maintaining the better frequency response of high-resolution audio formats.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Understood. I just thought it might be a way of maintaining the better frequency response of high-resolution audio formats.
Modern digital (meaning, the last 15 years for domestic use) is just superior to analog methods. Digital in recording studios was superior even in the nineties but was still way too expensive for home use.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I generally agree about DSP=easy and the right way,I use it myself.
On the other hand I always wonder about a glitch (which happen way too often as I read,nearly every day) that would add the +15db @30Hz which I usually cut.
Compromises I guess.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I generally agree about DSP=easy and the right way,I use it myself.
On the other hand I always wonder about a glitch (which happen way too often as I read,nearly every day) that would add the +15db @30Hz which I usually cut.
Compromises I guess.
Software bug?

OP
C

Chris Kelly

After seeing the replies, are there any receivers which can EQ either without DSD-to-PCM conversion, or else without downsampling 192KHz PCM?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The best you'll do is one of the old 31-band equalizers. Amir reviewed one here.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Software EQing DSD natively isn't possible afaik. And 192kHz audio in all honesty is a fools errand. You're getting zero benefit over 48kHz with 4x the data rate.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The more I read the more I'm convivced that to find rock solid software is pure luck or I don't know what else.
Testing can be expensive and time consuming. Hence, it's often minimized.

Top Bottom