• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ apps for Android

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't mind going the paid route, USB Audio Player PRO has ToneBoosters 10-band parametric EQ plug-in available and will output in direct mode to external DACs. It supports internal, Tidal, Qobuz, Google Play Music at the moment and is updated almost on a weekly basis.
I currently use Player Pro which is great for my local music.

I'm looking for a system-wide EQ that would apply to online music services, too. I suppose that could work. I'll check it out.

Kouioui

Forum Donor
I'm looking for a system-wide EQ that would apply to online music services, too. I suppose that could work. I'll check it out.
I interpret internal as music stored on the device itself. System-wide I would think you're out of luck (without rooting) if you want anything advanced like PEQ.

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I interpret internal as music stored on the device itself. System-wide I would think you're out of luck (without rooting) if you want anything advanced like PEQ.
I used one for a while, but they stopped updating it and it doesn't work any more. I'm hoping others have other suggestions.

Kouioui

Forum Donor
I found oratory1990's settings preferable to AutoEQ and Sonarworks but YMMV. I'll reduce the low shelf a little to adjust for my ears but find his results the best I've tried on my 3 cans.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the following, and I prefer the correction it produces to auto EQ (which is also flaky on my phone). The approach is different to a normal EQ app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.javeo.android.neutralizer

I've not found any system wide app to truly be system wide, but most are consistent with each other. For example in my phone BBC sounds works when I stream live, but not when I download, no idea why.

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the following, and I prefer the correction it produces to auto EQ (which is also flaky on my phone). The approach is different to a normal EQ app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.javeo.android.neutralizer

I've not found any system wide app to truly be system wide, but most are consistent with each other. For example in my phone BBC sounds works when I stream live, but not when I download, no idea why.
You know what, I downloaded this a long time ago and forgot about it. I need to pull it out of my app drawer and give it a try. Thanks.

BillG

Major Contributor
Dolby Atmos will give one a system-wide Graphic EQ, which should be sufficient. While various manufacturers usually include it in their Android implementations, it's available as a stand-alone application if one needs where to look - a simple Google search will do:

tia1488488662972687557.png

jaakkopasanen

Wavelet is by far the best option on Android. It works with "any" music player as if it was system wide solution, comes with all the 2800+ headphone eq profiles from AutoEq, has options for tweaking the sound and in my experience has the best compatibility with Bluetooth devices.

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't mind going the paid route, USB Audio Player PRO has ToneBoosters 10-band parametric EQ plug-in available and will output in direct mode to external DACs. It supports internal, Tidal, Qobuz, Google Play Music at the moment and is updated almost on a weekly basis.
I can't tell from the pictures, but does this allow folder view?

Kouioui

Forum Donor
I can't tell from the pictures, but does this allow folder view?
Yes, there is a Folder View along with MQA support for Tidal and much more. I prefer not to keep any of my personal library on my devices but Play Music (soon YT Music) allows uploading 50k songs of your own content as 320k MP3.

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I keep soundtrack music on my device because you often can't find it on streaming services.

Yeah, I am actually (probably) leaving GPM / YTM due to my frustrations with a low output level issue that hasn't been fixed after I reported it to them. I'm also not confident that YTM will have the same quality as something like Deezer.

Kouioui

Forum Donor
I've not noticed output level issues with Google's music services. I prefer not to listen to MP3 at all as the CD+ quality providers like Qobuz have the best audio quality. I keep my content on an 8TB PC media drive in 16/44kHz and just stream or download from there if needed. I'm one of those odd birds who can tell the difference if it's not lossless, given my head/earphone choices and musician's ears.

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you cast to something like a Chromecast, you might notice it takes a much higher level on your amp to get the same loudness from YTM than it does from other sources. At least from the Android app.

Top Bottom