• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ apps for Android

jae

Major Contributor
Yes, there is a Folder View along with MQA support for Tidal and much more. I prefer not to keep any of my personal library on my devices but Play Music (soon YT Music) allows uploading 50k songs of your own content as 320k MP3.

It's kind of the shame they have this bitrate limitation. The amount of people that would even take advantage of higher than mp3 quality I would imagine would be a lot less than a fraction of 1% of users , so it seems very arbitrary.

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's kind of the shame they have this bitrate limitation. The amount of people that would even take advantage of higher than mp3 quality I would imagine would be a lot less than a fraction of 1% of users , so it seems very arbitrary.
People don't know about bitrates. They just go in and set quality to "highest". Of course I want the best quality, why wouldn't I? Now you suddenly have a million users sucking unnecessary bandwidth for audio that was already transparent on the "high" setting.

jae

Major Contributor
People don't know about bitrates. They just go in and set quality to "highest". Of course I want the best quality, why wouldn't I? Now you suddenly have a million users sucking unnecessary bandwidth for audio that was already transparent on the "high" setting.

I definitely understand that, but I was referring to the 50k track limit of tracks that uploaded themselves. Practically everyone with their own collections of music are mp3/lossy, so I doubt it would be that much bandwidth at the end of the day for a majority of users. I personally already have an unlimited google storage business account so in doesn't affect me much. But I reckon many products, services, music apps etc may have some kind of integrations with it, so that's where the value comes from.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
If any member has gotten any one of these to work on Android with Amazon Music, please advise. Everything I have tried. Including Wavelet, does not.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wavelet is by far the best option on Android. It works with "any" music player as if it was system wide solution, comes with all the 2800+ headphone eq profiles from AutoEq, has options for tweaking the sound and in my experience has the best compatibility with Bluetooth devices.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I play music through the Deezer app and I choose the phone in the app. Genius.
I would like to have access to PEQ for fine tuning though, there is only graphical EQ...

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wavelet is by far the best option on Android. It works with "any" music player as if it was system wide solution, comes with all the 2800+ headphone eq profiles from AutoEq, has options for tweaking the sound and in my experience has the best compatibility with Bluetooth devices.
The Play Store doesn't want to install it on my phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro). Any hints on how to do so ?
My phone is rooted, so if the app needs additional files I can always install them by hand, provided I know which files and where.

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I play music through the Deezer app and I choose the phone in the app. Genius.
I would like to have access to PEQ for fine tuning though, there is only graphical EQ...
Once you connect headphone to your phone, the PEQ will show up.

jaakkopasanen

The Play Store doesn't want to install it on my phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro). Any hints on how to do so ?
My phone is rooted, so if the app needs additional files I can always install them by hand, provided I know which files and where.
Does it have Android 9 or newer? Because that's a requirement. If that's not it then your best luck would probably be the Wavelet Github repo issues ie asking the developer.

jaakkopasanen

As far as I understand the Wavelet uses what filters are available in the Android audio API. Parametric filters might not be included. You could produce your own eq profile with AutoEq. Tuning in AutoEq can be done for example with the sound signatures.

Lunafag

App-wide: Neutron has full PEQ, Poweramp has GEQ with adjustable frequencies.
System-wide non-root: wavelet has basic GEQ. Some apps can still bypass it.
System-wide root: Viper has basic GEQ, DDC(kind of like PEQ but you have to create profiles on your PC with DDC toolbox, only peak filters work reliably) and convolution filters(no idea how to make them but they are available on autoeq github). Jamesdsp has similar features, also GEQ with adjustable frequencies. Both work with 3.5 and bluetooth but don't work with USB DACs. Also they momentarily stop working if you get a notification sound.
I got fed up with this and got qudelix 5k, it has built-in PEQ that'll work with every device.

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
App-wide: Neutron has full PEQ, Poweramp has GEQ with adjustable frequencies.
System-wide non-root: wavelet has basic GEQ. Some apps can still bypass it.
System-wide root: Viper has basic GEQ, DDC(kind of like PEQ but you have to create profiles on your PC with DDC toolbox, only peak filters work reliably) and convolution filters(no idea how to make them but they are available on autoeq github). Jamesdsp has similar features, also GEQ with adjustable frequencies. Both work with 3.5 and bluetooth but don't work with USB DACs. Also they momentarily stop working if you get a notification sound.
I got fed up with this and got qudelix 5k, it has built-in PEQ that'll work with every device.
Hiby player has full PEQ too. Best part, it's free.
So if I am using headphone with my Android phone, I load PEQ in wavele/AutoEq. If am playing from Android USB, I am using Hiby Player.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing about using an app with EQ is that it plays local files only, while an system wide EQ works with streaming apps too. So it is a matter of functionality. That is the great thing about Wavelet, it runs in the background for other apps, and the beauty of it is integration with AutoEQ, again, genius.

MDT

I've been using an app called Neutralizer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.javeo.android.neutralizer&hl=en_GB&gl=US

Rather than inputting an EQ, the app plays tones across the spectrum and you adjust the volume of each one so they are more or less "equal". Not super easy to do, and don't have another EQ app to compare to, but I suppose the idea is you can create a neutral sound for each headset you use (require payment to store more than one profile)

Coffee addict

tee_jay

Strongly agree. Wavelet is Awesome! Recent updates (in late 2020) have made it much more robust as well. This includes better detection of audio output from a larger variety of apps. Yes, you may have to do some mildly technical stuff like giving permissions from ADB but the instructions on the help page are pretty clear. The best part is if you don't like the default EQ for your headphones/earphones on the app, you could very simply create your own parametric EQ file and import it. Clean UI and does what it says on the box. GraphicalEQ is just an extra perk for when you want that little boost. Just love everything about the app.
BTW, I'm super thankful for your AutoEQ project too! Thanks for starting and maintaining it! Great to see you on this forum.

tee_jay

This is actually perfect for me. I have an LG G7 fit (with the Quad-DAC I love) which did not get an Android 9 update, making Wavelet incompatible. The original aim of this project was to port Wavelet (which I absolutely adore) to versions before Android 9. The author goes on to list why that is such a pain (Android APIs being inadequate pre-Android 9) and how he adapts the limited control you get pre-Android 9 to get the best possible EQ. All in all, a great workaround for older devices. After initial testing, it works as well as it can, given the limited control available.

Art of sound

Thank you for the project but I really want to make additional changes to peq over the autoeq profile. Not just the bass boost. It would be nice to have additional functionality in the pro version. Too much treble 4k-7k for items as per over ear 2018 harman target

Lunafag

Thank you for the project but I really want to make additional changes to peq over the autoeq profile. Not just the bass boost. It would be nice to have additional functionality in the pro version. Too much treble 4k-7k for items as per over ear 2018 harman target
For now you can make EQ profiles for wavelet from scratch, squig.link style websites, including crinacle's, can export directly to wavelet format. Not as great as having PEQ in the app but still manageable to do entirely on your phone.

Art of sound

For now you can make EQ profiles for wavelet from scratch, squig.link style websites, including crinacle's, can export directly to wavelet format. Not as great as having PEQ in the app but still manageable to do entirely on your phone.
Great. thanks a bunch. Just realized that i can click on autoeq and then export these profiles. Definitely better than before. pesky harman IE is just bright even with that sub bass addition.

Top Bottom