• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Endgame headphones amp

zonk

Driving a car is dangerous, riding a bike is dangerous, walking across the street is even more dangerous, you can read it everywhere.
When was the last time you left the house? The written word is patient, no matter the medium.

Every device in this world can break, no matter what it costs.
But if you want service you have to pay significantly more, that doesn't work for these prices.
Or would you have spent €300 with the service?

My recommendation is buy your stuff at local seller and not in China

Roland68

Major Contributor
Excellent point I like your angle on this. Fair.
Most users don't realize how little the manufacturers receive per device. And not only the device, but all the costs incurred have to be paid for, but also packaging, operating costs, rent/building, energy, personnel costs, development, measuring equipment park, storage costs, etc.
If you consider that service/support/warranty costs have increased by a factor of 4-5 over the last 25 years...

It's actually great to be able to buy such well-developed and well-measured devices so cheaply, you just should be aware of why these devices are so cheap.

Roland68

Major Contributor
My recommendation is buy your stuff at local seller and not in China
That gets you your money back, you very rarely get an exchange, but then you don't get the devices repaired either. My own experience with 4 devices and over 20 in my circle of friends in the last 5 years.
This is particularly annoying if you bought a device on sale, the device has become significantly more expensive and only returns are accepted.
And after the warranty it doesn't help either. Also personal experience.

Don't get me wrong, this has nothing directly to do with topping and we have a much larger number of well-functioning devices from the same manufacturers.

MAB

Major Contributor
That's not entirely true, so I have to defend Topping a little.
With the L30, a maximum of 3-5 cases are known where headphones were damaged.
This initially had nothing to do with DC in the music signal, but only with the ESD sensitivity of the devices.
DC protection was actually installed, but it was discovered at the time that the DC protection did not respond quickly enough. There were also coupling capacitors at the input.

Also, this ESD problem came together due to several unfortunate technical circumstances and in reality only a few units were even affected under unfortunate circumstances. Among other things, it was the perfection of Topping that caused the problem in the first place.
Thanks for the clarification.

edit: I wasn't implying that DC content in music blew the L30. Rather the lack of protection against fault. Topping are not the only example, Schiit had problems too early on.

Last edited:

IXOYE

I thought the RME ADI-2 was the endgame for me until I bought the Violectric V-222, a wonderful warm sounding and very powerful amplifier, highly recommended.

Top Bottom