• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emulating Glasses for Headphone Measurements

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So I am getting questions again about how well a headphone measures with glasses on. With no industry standard, we need to cook up our own solution. This is the fixture I use: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../asr-getting-into-measuring-headphones.18086/

index.php

We need a way to affix glasses to the fixture. We have the two ears so that part is OK but I think we need a nose arch to anchor the glasses so it doesn't droop. Assuming we get such a thing then I need a way to fasten it. I am not fond of gluing it so maybe use rubber bands around the fixture???

And what would be representative glasses?

Alternatively, we could come up with something I slide under one cup and remeasure. What are some ideas around that?

dfuller

Major Contributor
A thin enough dowel might be close-ish? Hard to consistently position, though.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Use blu-tak on arms to stick to the head/fixture, no need for the frame.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe just use the arms from a pair of old glasses, the ear pads would probably hold them in place if they have enough clamp.
Or if you mount something, rubber bands or zip ties might work.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Zip tie looped around the top post and just slide the glasses in to rest on the nose section. Once set it should be repeatable within reason.

1630026122391.jpeg

Last edited:

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
I would echo this suggestion - a hook at a clearly defined point can allow for very consistent placement, because each frame should only hang one way on it (contra a real nose).

I would also suggest trying both flexible, thin-framed metal glasses and thick plastic ones, the differences can be surprising.

antdroid

Reviewer
3M command strip/hooks that are sold at any store like Target or Fred Meyer may work to hold the glasses up and it's removable.

Zensō

Major Contributor
3M command strip/hooks that are sold at any store like Target or Fred Meyer may work to hold the glasses up and it's removable.
Agreed. These hold really well and do no damage. Not sure which size would work best.

4E955D39-7BBB-412A-A3E3-606F50C6A2E1.jpeg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I just stick some reading glasses with various thickness between the pads and rig.
Have 2 different ones.
I also use a 6.3mm plug I simply stick under there.
My test fixture is flat though and has a 'skin-like' closed cell foam that is about as thick and compliant as my skin, its not a hard surface.
I can see if seal breakage could be a problem.
To verify I also listen and lift the pads.
Some (mostly closed headphones) are terrible. Some open headphones aren't great either.
Most open headphones are hardly affected. You can lift the pads from the HD560S for instance and even with a small gap there is still bass.

Oddeeo

I don’t get why people feel the need to keep their glasses on while listening. Just get contacts

edahl

I don’t get why people feel the need to keep their glasses on while listening. Just get contacts
Let me just rip out your eyes and socket them for a second so I can wear contracts.

Anyway, sounds weird saying it, but a silicon mold face?

Reactions: RHO
Top Bottom