• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva ERC-4 CD Player (DAC) Review

Rate this CD Player/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 133 84.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm You can inform them they just violated US Federal law.

"…big manufacturers such as Sony, Microsoft, and Apple explicitly note or imply in their official agreements that their year-long manufacturer warranties—which entitle you to a replacement or repair if your device is defective—are void if consumers attempt to repair their gadgets or take them to a third party repair professional.
What almost no one knows is that these stickers and clauses are illegal under a federal law passed in 1975 called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
To be clear, federal law says you can open your electronics without voiding the warranty, regardless of what the language of that warranty says."

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i have strong doubts the company founder denied the warranty... i mean this isnt Elon Musk is it?

but this would be typical for a company like Emotiva

they used to be about that whole "not a typical conglomerate hi-fi company" by having good prices and selling direct but those were the days when they sold a an integrated amp for $499 and the thing is... they got a following and they knew they could charge whatever and do whatever and those schlubs would still buy their shit so why not run with covid and increase prices and decrease support when you know you have a loyal following who will defend you to the hilt.

So now they are no different from the average multinational consumer electronics company.

BUT where's the competition. Companies do this when they know there's scant pickings out there.

D

Deleted member 48726

They can't do that. There's a law against exactly that.
But great info. ****** behaviour.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i have strong doubts the company founder denied the warranty... i mean this isnt Elon Musk is it?

but this would be typical for a company like Emotiva

they used to be about that whole "not a typical conglomerate hi-fi company" by having good prices and selling direct but those were the days when they sold a an integrated amp for $499 and the thing is... they got a following and they knew they could charge whatever and do whatever and those schlubs would still buy their shit so why not run with covid and increase prices and decrease support when you know you have a loyal following who will defend you to the hilt.

So now they are no different from the average multinational consumer electronics company.

BUT where's the competition. Companies do this when they know there's scant pickings out there.
My understanding is the owner lives nearby and probably is in the building most of the time-it is a small outfit after all. So he could easily have weighed in.

dennondude

Funny how you can open the A100/A2m to install jumpers per their manual and not void the warranty...

Count Dacula

I'll never forgive SONY for my VAIO computer fiasco. It set me back money, time and simply trying to maintain a PC for school and business, circa 1998.

Cepstrum

Yesterday ordered erc-4 to my pt-1 A2. I think I will be happy. one style is more important then -100 db interference. Moreover, I still can't hear it. but read with interest

Top Bottom