• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electrical cable as speaker cable

mga2009

Quick question,

I have lots of meters of electrical cable from my house renovations, which has stranded 100% copper, 4mm2 in diameter, 50 strands aprox.

Granted, the jacket is not uber flexible, but... would it work properly as speaker cable? Specially on longer runs (5 to 10 meters)???

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 107

Waxx

Major Contributor
just check if it's real copper or cca, cca is slightly worse. But even then no disaster, only with higher internal resistance and inductance and so more loss (certainly over longer distances). But not that more that it becomes an big issue. Copper (OFC or not) is just better at that, and OFC copper does oxidise less fast than standard copper.

But for the rest, a speaker cable is just an electric wire transporting ac voltages, nothing magic about it. And 4mm is overkill, i use 1.5mm stranded copper wire for that for hifi.

SSS

Quick question,

I have lots of meters of electrical cable from my house renovations, which has stranded 100% copper, 4mm2 in diameter, 50 strands aprox.

Granted, the jacket is not uber flexible, but... would it work properly as speaker cable? Specially on longer runs (5 to 10 meters)???

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers!
Since many years I use solid copper wire from mains installation for my big loudspeakers. Works perfect. OFC or not OFC is quack. All bendable copper is almost OFC, otherwise it will break after a certain count of bending.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been using, and now use, so many rather long multi-core color-coded VCT (Vinyl Cabtyre) flexible cables (AWG10, AWG12) for speaker cables in my PC-DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo audio project. They are perfectly fine as speaker cables.

- VCT (vinyl Cabtyre) multicore flexible cables (AWG10, AWG12) for amplifiers into speaker drivers: #028, #137 on my project thread.

Edit: And here on remote thread.

These posts would be also for your reference;
- Elimination of magnetic susceptible metals in SP signal handling: #250, #013(remote thread).

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
Speaker cables are electrical cables :)
this.
the only thing I find "so called speaker cables" to be useful is the marking, so I know which end I should plug into this and that. as long as it's of good material (personally prefer OTC, but just because) and adequate AWG, all is good

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
There was a craze in the 80s, I think for exchanging expensive multi strand loudspeaker cable for in-wall mains cables (single core, not very bendable). Subjectively it was considered smooth compared to the expensive alternatives.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Slightly off-topic, but not too much I hope.

I use "QED micro" speaker cable which is 17AWG - bought in the "old days", don't judge me. I have 8m cable runs because of the room layout which I think is just on the long side for these. i.e. the effect of the wire's resistance might be creeping in.
Is there an actual impact from using this thinnish cable over these distances? I don't listen loud (70 dB SPL at 2-3m) and my speakers are reasonably efficient. I'm assuming there's nothing to think about here, but it would be nice to know.

delta76

Major Contributor
Slightly off-topic, but not too much I hope.

I use "QED micro" speaker cable which is 17AWG - bought in the "old days", don't judge me. I have 8m cable runs because of the room layout which I think is just on the long side for these. i.e. the effect of the wire's resistance might be creeping in.
Is there an actual impact from using this thinnish cable over these distances? I don't listen loud (70 dB SPL at 2-3m) and my speakers are reasonably efficient. I'm assuming there's nothing to think about here, but it would be nice to know.
should be no problem. it has 0.15 ohm impedance so should not affect your speaker in any way

https://www.cirris.com/learning-center/calculators/133-wire-resistance-calculator-table

if you feel uneasy, go with some nice speaker cable ($1/m), just for a peace of mind

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
someone brings up and interesting point

CCA is substantially cheaper than copper.... I wonder if it truly makes any real world difference.

BUT i mean here if you buy 12-14-16 awg from a hi-fi store ya gona get ripped... from an electrical supplier??? hmmm... with copper being so expensive

i just buy offcut 12 awg from a electrical contractor i use who's family friend...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're terribly worried about CCA just get the next gauge up. 10AWG zip cord or extension cord is cheap.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

pinger

Just make sure you burn in the cable for several hours for the best sound quality ;)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Top Bottom