• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Vela or Solano measurements

FunkeXMix

And a reviewer on YT specifically said the Solano sounds better than the Vela, at a lower price. Bit of a mystery why it hasn't gotten more coverage.
I believe you were referring to this review

He did not say why he preferred the Solano over Vela. Big bummer for me. Loved what I heard from Vela in a shop, but felt the bass was lacking. So was wondering if Solano might have more bass. Any know?

jimbomb

I believe you were referring to this review

He did not say why he preferred the Solano over Vela. Big bummer for me. Loved what I heard from Vela in a shop, but felt the bass was lacking. So was wondering if Solano might have more bass. Any know?
Yes, that review. If you listen to the comments of the 3 guys during the listening test they do have a lot of praise for the bass, and one says the Solano is the best bookshelf speaker he's ever heard. But you're right, not a specific comparison of the bass vs the Vela. I'm still curious why the Solano hasn't gotten more publicity and reviews.

FunkeXMix

The guy in the review responded with "I think the Solano has much more bass. Vela wins in the highs" in the videos comment section

jimbomb

The guy in the review responded with "I think the Solano has much more bass. Vela wins in the highs" in the videos comment section
Yeah, which seems a bit odd considering how much the listening reviewers in that video praised the highs and the tweeter specifically. But they didn't compare it to the Vela. Also the Vela and Solano both use the Jet 5 tweeter, the same wave guide, and crossover freq. Reviews in general have to be taken with a big grain of salt. Only way to know is to listen to them.

FunkeXMix

Yeah, which seems a bit odd considering how much the listening reviewers in that video praised the highs and the tweeter specifically. But they didn't compare it to the Vela. Also the Vela and Solano both use the Jet 5 tweeter, the same wave guide, and crossover freq. Reviews in general have to be taken with a big grain of salt. Only way to know is to listen to them.
A local hifi dealer checked with Elac and they said Solano does not have more bass. I am not sure that can be trusted though.

FunkeXMix

The port design is quite different though, Solano is open in all directions at the bottom. Vela just in the back, so I believe there could be a bass difference. I don't see any vela review raving about the bass, but we have two reviews raving about solanos. The earlier posted by Just Audio. And this recent one

DaveN

I agree with everything Gareth says. I’ve got the full Solano set except the centre speaker which is a Vela. The BS283 are my rear speakers so I don’t get the full experience from them that Gareth is getting but overall the set is that awesome that I upgraded my receiver to an Anthem MRX 1140 with no regrets (already have a 5 channel Anthem power amp).

Opal

Tried the Solano last year. Thought the Solano were fantastic. Very very good to my ears

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
E695F61F-2496-4A39-A50D-A472EB349864.jpeg

@BrokenEnglishGuy I think, all German brands are having less consideration about the distortion. May it has to do with the smaller appartments most people live in as opposed to large individual houses like in the United States. On axis is quite good on many speakers

Anatoly70

Elac recently upgraded their AMT tweeter to Jet 6. It's interesting they started to put it not only to new models but to existing as well, both Vela and Solano included.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
View attachment 266992
@BrokenEnglishGuy I think, all German brands are having less consideration about the distortion. May it has to do with the smaller appartments most people live in as opposed to large individual houses like in the United States. On axis is quite good on many speakers
wasn't this the graph from the fs407 xD?
ZZyA4j2.png

Accuton drivers has very little distortion, the only problem is the price

Beave

Major Contributor
Elac recently upgraded their AMT tweeter to Jet 6. It's interesting they started to put it not only to new models but to existing as well, both Vela and Solano included.

From the top link:

"The sound of VELA shows it´s family background to successful series 400."

"The convex shaped baffle and the big radius’s of the cabinet promote the acoustics because influences of cabinet to frequency response are reduced."

"Thanks to it’s flexible connections the Vela series offers the ability of using bi-wiring and bi-amping."

Yikes. They need to hire an editor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom