• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Vela or Solano measurements

cd45123

Hi All, has anyone seen measurements on these two standmount speakers? I would like to get an idea how they may stack up to my Kef R3 before I try them out.

Also, if anyone has listened to the Vela or Solano, would love to get your take on these and what you thought of them.

Thanks

Streamc

Hi All, has anyone seen measurements on these two standmount speakers? I would like to get an idea how they may stack up to my Kef R3 before I try them out.

Also, if anyone has listened to the Vela or Solano, would love to get your take on these and what you thought of them.

Thanks
Why do you ask this question? What the problem with R3? I also own R3.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Hi!
I have this from Elac vela fs407 if it helps
ZZyA4j2.png

Anatoly70

I have Elac Solano BS 283. I'm not good at speaker review... Anyway, overall, the sound quality is amazing, outstanding bass and breath taking amount of details without being harsh and fatiguing at all. I also test speakers for sound quality at moderate to low volumes. Solanos shine here as well. I have in my collection also JBL Studio 530 and Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary to compare. Solanos win (pricewise it’s logical). Use in about 20m2 room without digital EQ (I have no equipment). Positioning a bit toe in, not direct facing to "sweet spot".

jimbomb

I have Elac Solano BS 283. I'm not good at speaker review... Anyway, overall, the sound quality is amazing, outstanding bass and breath taking amount of details without being harsh and fatiguing at all. I also test speakers for sound quality at moderate to low volumes. Solanos shine here as well. I have in my collection also JBL Studio 530 and Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary to compare. Solanos win (pricewise it’s logical). Use in about 20m2 room without digital EQ (I have no equipment). Positioning a bit toe in, not direct facing to "sweet spot".
Good to hear from a Solano owner. Looks like a very interesting speaker at a feasible price point. The mystery to me is despite a few rave reviews it hasn't gotten more attention. Keep checking around but the silence from the usual reviewers is puzzling. Hope to see more.

Thanks.

OP
C

cd45123

My understanding is that both speakers were not Andrew Jones designs. I can’t put any stock in these traditional reviews without measurements. For some reason no one has touched these stateside that does objective reviews.

Solano is using similar parts as Vela but may be manufactured in China and has a simpler exterior design and woofer. Both share the same tweeter.

jimbomb

My understanding is that both speakers were not Andrew Jones designs. I can’t put any stock in these traditional reviews without measurements. For some reason no one has touched these stateside that does objective reviews.

Solano is using similar parts as Vela but may be manufactured in China and has a simpler exterior design and woofer. Both share the same tweeter.
Understand it's not Andrew Jones. One audio dealer/reviewer on YT who claimed to have very mixed feelings about Elacs said the Solano is definitely the best speaker they've produced, and one of the guys in the video said it's the best sound he'd ever heard from a bookshelf speaker. Of course, as you say that's hardly objective. Also, did a bit of Google "research" and found several statements that it's made in their plant in Kiel, Germany, but don't know how accurate that is. Would still like to see more about it.

jimbomb

The new Solano series was designed by Rolf Janke, the Head of Research and Development at Elac’s headquarters in Kiel, Germany. And they made in Germany.
View attachment 196330
Thanks for that review link, one that I hadn't seen before, and Google translate seems to do a nice job with it. One more seemingly rave review from last July, which again raises the question why not more interest over here? Is Elac not promoting it, or is it something else?

ToriCatcher

Thanks
I listened to Vela 403 a while back. I thought it was fantastic, although not blind, I compared it to some other speakers in A,B,C... fashion and thought it was by far the best. The others were Focal 906, Monitor Audio gold and a few others.

gsp1971

Forum Donor

jimbomb

I listened to Vela 403 a while back. I thought it was fantastic, although not blind, I compared it to some other speakers in A,B,C... fashion and thought it was by far the best. The others were Focal 906, Monitor Audio gold and a few others.
And a reviewer on YT specifically said the Solano sounds better than the Vela, at a lower price. Bit of a mystery why it hasn't gotten more coverage.

jimbomb

That would be very surprising if true
Yeah, although I can think of a few reasons why it could be true. Different designers. I own a Andrew Jones designed speaker so I know his reputation, but he's not the only good speaker designer, and a different perspective could have yielded better results. Also, it's possible that the higher price point of the Vela suppressed sales, whereas the $1999, just below $2000, price point could significantly increase sales, so they hit that sweet spot number. Also possible that the reviewer I mentioned just subjectively prefers the flavor of the Solano over the Vela. If it is true though why isn't it getting more pub? Since reviewers don't like to pan speakers and pick the ones to review they can say good things about, the Solano really may not be that good. Still a mystery.

Edit: As noted below Andrew Jones didn't design the Vela, so not relevant.

Last edited:

Anatoly70

Yeah, although I can think of a few reasons why it could be true. Different designers.
Both Solano and Vela series are by Rolf Janke designer. Carina is Andrew Jones' baby.
Love this maritime naming BTW.

Last edited:

jimbomb

Both Solano and Vela series are by Rolf Janke designer. Carina is Andrew Jones' baby.
Love this maritime naming BTW.
Ah, yeah, my mistake, so strike that as an explanation. Thanks. Looking forward to more info on the Solano.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
and the Solano

jimbomb

and the Solano

Thanks for that link. Nice review, well written. Reinforces other reviews I've seen that this is a serious contender.

DaveN

Thanks

Thanks
Hi everyone, I’m new here and I noticed the question about Elac Solano and Vela speakers. In September 2021 I bought the full Solano set except for the centre speaker which is a Vela. For some reason the Solano centre speaker wasn’t available then so for the same price they substituted the Vela (I wasn’t complaining!). I also bought 2 Elac 2070 subs. I’m partially deaf so I went for quality and have no regrets. My AVR is a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080 and I have an Anthem MCA 525 (Gen 1) Power Amplifier driving the five speakers with two newish top-end Monitor Audio Atmos speakers in the ceiling being driven by the AVR. The Elac’s replaced my 16 year old Monitor Audio Radius speakers and there’s an immense improvement in the sound quality I’m happy to say (the base is awesome with those 2 Elac subs - different league to my old Monitor Audio sub!). Any questions fire away.

Top Bottom