• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Ref. DBR62 (500€) or pay over twice the price for Revel M16 (1200€)

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When refering to equipment, "musicality" is just one more ingredient in someone's word salad.
Not when its refering to the music produced by the equipment. Word salad to one, meaningful to another. Ill just leave it at that.

beren777

Based on the reviews here on ASR for both models, you're likely to be happy with the sound of either model, especially with a little EQ. The DBR62 seems worth an audition. If you aren't satisfied, return them and try the M16.

Ninjastar

I think the choices mentioned all measure so close in sound quality that you should just pick the one that looks best to you and fits your budget.

ELAC DBR-62, ELAC UBR, Revel M16, Polk R200, Wharfedale 12.1/12.2, Focal Chora 806/Aria 906 should all sound good.

I personally own the ELAC DBR-62 and Polk R200 and both sound excellent and measure outstanding. It's really splitting hairs. Polk R200 has more bass.

I dont think you have the right to dictate what term can or cannot be used to express one's experience. Subjective terms are often used here, 'musicality' is no different to 'lean' or 'rich'. If you cant accept the term musicality, there are pure science forums around that you will fit in rather well. As in ASR, there is no such rule against using the word musicality. You not understanding it dont mean others wont.
But "musicality" is a purely subjective experience, whereas for example "lean" is understood to imply lacking in bass or midrange presence.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not when its refering to the music produced by the equipment
Wow. Now, Hi-Fi is producing music... not reproducing it? Well, that's new...

At the end, you just said it yourself: musicality is about the music, not the equipment.:p

Back to the topic, I think pretty much everybody agrees:

- All three speaker mentioned are good enough
- OP may go by other factors, such as design or budget.
- Still, an audition should be needed to pull the trigger. About that:
If you aren't satisfied, return them and try the M16.
Definitely. Nothing is more relevant than auditioning the speaker in your own room.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
easy guys, I'm not english, apologies for the word musicality
There's no apologies needed, it's alright! :)

To be honest, I'm just a bit sick about this word in particular. Truth be told : it is just a gimmick from subjectivists audiophiles, which doesn't have any specific translation in technical terms (or as many interpretations as there are audiophiles).

You just preferred the Elac to the Polk and it is perfectly fine that way ! ;)

Last edited:

Ninjastar

easy guys, I'm not english, apologies for the word musicality , it would be difficult to explain elsewhere the treble contents in a different way
Being an owner of both the ELAC DBR-62 and the Polk R200, I think I understand what you are referring to when you say "musicality", but it's only because I myself have been able to listen to both of them and compare (sighted listening impressions so not the most reliable).

If I'm not mistaken, I think you mean the treble sounds more sharp on the Polk R200 than on the DBR-62, which in comparison sounds softer/relaxed, so you may find the ELAC more "musical" because it does not draw so much attention to treble detail information and just allows you to relax and enjoy the music, whereas the Polk tends to make you analyze the quality of the recording more due to drawing attention to high frequency detail.

I think for this community, the goal is generally to move away from vague subjective terms like "musicality" because it cannot be measured objectively. And what may be interpreted as "musical" by one person may be "muddy" or not transparent to another listener.

marcello252

If I'm not mistaken, I think you mean the treble sounds more sharp on the Polk R200 than on the DBR-62, which in comparison sounds softer/relaxed, so you may find the ELAC more "musical" because it does not draw so much attention to treble detail information and just allows you to relax and enjoy the music, whereas the Polk tends to make you analyze the quality of the recording more due to drawing attention to high frequency detail.

I think you got the point perfectly, you explained exactly what I ear. As I said before I'm not english speaking so it's always walking on eggs trying to explain the sound you ear, as far as I can see even terms like 'soft' and 'relaxed' would be on the edge in a context like this.
Next time I'd try to be more on focus, I promise :).

thank you

Dzhaughn

I auditioned the Elac DBR 62 and bought the M16. I don't think one sounds better than the other; they're both nice and way better than my KEF Q100s. The (white) Revels look a lot better in my room so I kept them. But they weren't anything like twice the price.

The recently tested wharfdale diamonds have competitive measurements and a better price, at least in the US.

Top Bottom