• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Ref. DBR62 (500€) or pay over twice the price for Revel M16 (1200€)

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just starting out?
Is there a secondhand market available to you?

OP
K

Karppila

Just starting out?
Is there a secondhand market available to you?
There is a small market for used stuff here. There is one Revel M16 pair for 700€ I would instantly get it but its on the other side of the country and do not think shipping is an option there. Also one KEF R3 pair for 750€ that I would also instantly get but same problem, so I am going to stick with brand new equipment. Only interesting used stuff I found was a pair of Elac Solano BS 283 for 1.2k € and Elac Carina BS234.4 for 800€ but have no clue if they are even any good. And the task here is to get bookshelf speakers for my 5.1 setup (replacing my very old Jamo floorstanders)

Triliza

Forum Donor
I haven't heard any of the speakers you are asking about, but imo the decision would depend on if you are looking to buy a pair of speakers and forget about them, or if you'd like to experiment and buy something new (better/different) after some time. If the former, I'd buy the Revel and call it a day (more like a decade). They look nice, measure great, seems like a solid choice to me. Probably if you buy one of the other two and don't like them enough, you'd regret you didn't bought this one, being the most expensive and all that.

If you feel adventurous (and your wallet feels the same), I'd go for the cheaper speakers of these three, and if I didn't like them enough, move them to surround duties later on and get something else. Wharfedale 12.1 did quite alright on the review here on ASR, so maybe Wharfedale 12.2 could be a choice too.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The soundstage of the Revel M16 might be better, but the DBR-62 can probably play louder and deeper without distortion.

I only heard the latter.

jae

Major Contributor
I'd say the ELAC is a good choice, the most logical "upgrade" from that while staying budget conscious an getting objectively better you're looking at Genelec, Neuman, kef r3 etc IMO. If you're going to be adding subwoofers or you want to specifically stay with passive you will have to consider the upgrade path as well, budget for other electronics etc.

OP
K

Karppila

I'd say the ELAC is a good choice, the most logical "upgrade" from that while staying budget conscious an getting objectively better you're looking at Genelec, Neuman, kef r3 etc IMO. If you're going to be adding subwoofers or you want to specifically stay with passive you will have to consider the upgrade path as well, budget for other electronics etc.
I think Im staying on the passive side and I also have a 10 inch subwoofer already. Also I have a Denon AVR X3400H which give a bit over 100W per channel. I did actually try my new desktop speakers on my setup but was just scarred for life as I used an unbalanced connection so there was a huge static noise and I even bought cables for that. So I don't want to go and go buy another set of cables to try them balanced anymore.

Shanman

Forum Donor
I am sending a pair of Debut Reference DBR62 back as we speak. They did not wow me compared to the Debut 2.0's I already had.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless the OP's finances are extremely limited, get the M16's.

Marcel

My vote goes to the Elac Solano. They replaced my aging Dynaudio Contour's and I love them. But yes, audition if possible.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My vote goes to the Elac Solano.
OK. This costs at least 1600€/pair when the OP asks if he should consider going up to 1200.
Unless the OP's finances are extremely limited, get the M16's.
Why? I don't consider the M16 measurements to be "that" great, IMHO. PIR looks good, distorsion plot, not so much...
Revel M16 Standmount Bookshelf High-end Speaker Distortion Audio Measurements.png

Revel textbook performance seems to really start with the Performa range.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All three measure good enough from an objective standpoint. I would give an audition to each before making a decision, tho.
Then why quote my post to announce that the M16 doesn't measure so great after you passed on the same conclusion from @Triliza? Seems like you are shifting around for no good reason.

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
I got the DBR-62 second hand. Really happy with the results. Especially impressive in terms of bass output for the size. Although recently I added an svs sb 1000 pro sub and that took the set to another level, both in terms of bass and of midrange.

Based on the objective measurements and eq'd I think they are really good value.

They look cheaper than they cost but you get used to it

MGG

If you are located in EU wait for Focal Aria 906 sale, it's often available for around €250. Spend remainder of the budget on Focal Sub 1000 F, it's once or twice a year available for around €500. You can use Idealo (fr) to track prices.
I don't think there is anything that offers comparable value for many available in EU, especially as you already own AVR.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then why quote my post to announce that the M16 doesn't measure so great after you passed on the same conclusion from @Triliza?
I stand on what I said: none of the three speakers mentioned measure "bad"... Still, I see no real objective advantage for the M16 specifically over the DBR-62 or the R200 (not measured by Amir for apples to apples comparaison, but @napilopez did a great job testing it). As such, I don't see why the OP should have to spend more on the M16. Nor that he should not, BTW.
So? OP mentioned these as a possible s/h option at 1200 in post #4
Yep. My bad.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I stand on what I said: none of the three speakers mentioned measure "bad"... Still, I see no real objective advantage for the M16 specifically over the DBR-62 or the R200 (not measured by Amir for apples to apples comparaison, but @napilopez did a great job testing it). As such, I don't see why the OP should have to spend more on the M16. Nor that he should not, BTW.

Yep. My bad.
The finish on the M16 is much nicer than the fake wood covering on the DBR-62 For me that's reason enough.

Top Bottom