• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eggleston Works Fontaine (Danny/GR review)

moonlight rainbow dream

Sorry to link the tube connector merchant, but it's actually impressive how poorly this speaker performs. You can't help but look at it like a grisly car wreck. My favourite part is how the top of the baffle is shaped to maximize diffraction.

Morbid curiosity makes me want to see it on the NFS.

auto

D

Deleted member 48726

Thanks. I admit I enjoy his speaker analysis. Some of his fixes aren't actually fixes though, but in this case he made it a lot better.

LanceLewin

Like Moonlight announces, the speakers he is testing are products sent from viewers/customers and thus such examples may
actually have issues that are beyond what some of these products have with other owners of the same product. For example,
I own a 1999 pair of these Eggleston Works (Granite) paneled speakers and they perform better than most speakers costing even thousands more.
It is very difficult to listen to this review and know how well this speaker performs in my home. I said at the beginning, it appears
the test speaker has issues, and / or in real time the speaker sounds stellar, regardless what charts tell us. Thank you.

Last edited:

Penelinfi

I've played with speakers with out of phase at crossover - it can sound somewhat nice; lack of bite or screech but you get the off axis sound which fills it in, creating a "deeper" soundstage. At some point you'll still notice that it always seems too polite, but perhaps that's what these designers are after. Remembering some seem to design by ear so that's how you can get these kinds of responses.

Top Bottom