• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effect of Cannabis use on hearing

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Surely this is all relative. Alcohol is proven to be far more dangerous, both physically and psychologicaly, yet is legal. Cigarettes are legal. Obviously there are issues that need to be taken into account and legislated for, but it is clear that the current drug laws and prohibition are not only ineffective but also damaging to society as they help fund the black market, cartels etc. Just as with alcohol when earlier prohibition was in effect.

'Drugs are bad. Just say No" ala Nancy Regan clearly doesn't work.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Surely this is all relative. Alcohol is proven to be far more dangerous, both physically and psychologicaly, yet is legal. Cigarettes are legal. Obviously there are issues that need to be taken into account and legislated for, but it is clearly obvious that the current drug laws and prohibition are not only ineffective but also help fund the black market, cartels etc.
'Drugs are bad".
ala Nancy Regan clearly doesn't work.
Obviously.
Agree with the first part. We made poor choices with alcohol-although it did protect you from contaminated water and it made procreation somewhat more likely (evolutionary imperative).

JRS

Major Contributor
or doing nothing to avoid obesity.

Cigarettes, however, are interesting. Smokers may reduce health&welfare costs overall inasmuch as they tend to die earlier and quicker. Healthy people have these protracted departures that are inordinately expensive. Obesity leads to a protracted heart failure that is also quite expensive.

Such is the gruesome nature of these calculations.
While I might agree in the case of smoking and cancer, other fallout particularly COPD tends to be protracted and expensive. Just the annual supplemental oxygen use at a typical VA is a fairly fancy figure. I'd say most of these patients are cheap compared to diabetes, of which a significant portion is absolutely preventable.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While I might agree in the case of smoking and cancer, other fallout particularly COPD tends to be protracted and expensive. Just the annual supplemental oxygen use at a typical VA is a fairly fancy figure. I'd say most of these patients are cheap compared to diabetes, of which a significant portion is absolutely preventable.
Why do you hate the junk food industry?

/;)

JRS

Major Contributor
My wife’s a neurologist and she sees a few cases a year. Mushrooms have been more common and the effects more pronounced. Scary stuff.
Odd, I am quite versed in the literature and of all the drugs of abuse, mushrooms and other psychedelics appear to be the safest. In fact of all the drugs of abuse, mushrooms and other psychedelics appear to have the greatest potential as a medicine for various mental illnesses, and an opportunity to have a deep and spiritual experience of such magnitude, most people would rank it among the top three of their entire life (recent study, Johns Hopkins Univ). It is being fast tracked for FDA approval as I write.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Now being used to treat PTSD. As is MDMA.

Big pharma are obviously fighting this as it effects their profits and they want to promote ongoing daily prescription drugs... Particularly now they can't blatantly promote synthetic opioids.
It's a mad world.

tuga

Major Contributor
Odd, I am quite versed in the literature and of all the drugs of abuse, mushrooms and other psychedelics appear to be the safest. In fact of all the drugs of abuse, mushrooms and other psychedelics appear to have the greatest potential as a medicine for various mental illnesses, and an opportunity to have a deep and spiritual experience of such magnitude, most people would rank it among the top three of their entire life (recent study, Johns Hopkins Univ). It is being fast tracked for FDA approval as I write.

Drug abuse is dumb. Be it alchool or mushrooms, nicotine or cocaine.

We have a friend Pschiatrist, the goup he's in is researching Psilocybin as treatment for anorexia nervosa.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now being used to treat PTSD. As is MDMA.

Big pharma are obviously fighting this as it effects their profits and they want to promote ongoing daily prescription drugs... Particularly now they can't blatantly promote synthetic opioids.
It's a mad world.
Yes it's surprising that big pharma will scour the Amazon to find new chemical compound but have done very little with the Vitamin M compunds.

Plcamp

I will simply interject that one cannot properly appreciate “In the court of the crimson king” nor anything by the Grateful Dead* without significant consumption of cannabis.

So there’s that to consider here.

* I reserve the right to add to this example list

Chr1

Forum Donor
I will simply interject that one cannot properly appreciate “In the court of the crimson king” nor anything by the Grateful Dead* without significant consumption of cannabis.

So there’s that to consider here.

* I reserve the right to add to this example list
Not sure if that is pro cannabis or a reason for prohibition.
Ha.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

chych7

For those interested in an enhanced sensory experience that does not use any substances, try Holotropic breathing. Essentially for 30 sec-1 min, rapidly take continuous deep breaths (in the nose, out the mouth) with eyes closed. The over-oxygenation will induce a self-produced altered state of consciousness that can provide some sensory enhancement. Play some music, keep eyes closed and focus on the music, and enjoy; continue to breathe deeply to keep the state going. Oh and don't do this if you have any heart/blood pressure issues (this type of breathing can actually be more dangerous than some of the substances mentioned here).

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
mushrooms, nicotine or cocaine
Cocaine is spiked with synthetic opioids. Bad bad B A D ! I would never touch that stuff in a millions years. :facepalm:
Mushrooms do not have synthetic opioids in them
I have used mushrooms extensively when I lived on the West Coast and never had a issue. In some ways days after and even weeks after I had a more clear mind and learned stuff from ingesting mushrooms.

JRS

Major Contributor
Yes it's surprising that big pharma will scour the Amazon to find new chemical compound but have done very little with the Vitamin M compunds.
That's largely due to the scheduling of drugs. Even big pharma has trouble obtaining permits for research studies. That's why Biden's failure to remove cannabis from schedule 1 listing has been disappointing. But he has shown an open mind about MDMA and psilocybin--and again is fast tracking for use in clinically approved settings--typically one is ensconced ina be anbag chair with blinders listening to "groovy" music, and the rooms replete with soft organic shapes covered in native American or arabesque patterns. A counselor experienced with the drug being used is more active than a "sitter", but often ehose primary function is reassurance and gentle guidance.

JRS

Major Contributor
I wonder how does weed affect you guys while listening to music.

And if you know if any Scientific studies on this specific effect in particular.

For me when i smoke the Devil’s grass I experience few effects.

1) Bass is more pronounced, I would be perceiving it louder than it actually is

2) Better sound imaging, i could always tell where each part of the sound is within the stereo image.

3) i would pay attention to details that otherwise I wouldn’t notice, i would be able to separate background vocals from lead vocals and hear them as if i’m in a stage and they’re coming from two different places (due to the improved sound imaging as well)

4) Synthesia (when i’m really stoned) the different notes and tones start poping colors when i close my eyes.

Do you guys notice any particular effects on your hearing when you smoke?
I almost forgot to answer the question. It definitely is an enhancer and when going to a concert consume edibles (having arranged transportation). Let me put it this way, 2.00 worth of a "medium" potency hybrid strain is pretty much equivalent to a 1000 dollar upgrade (assuming the equipment is solid to begin with--say a 1500. system. When you get into really good equipment, it's almost other wordly. One thing I notice is the ability to hear reflections off of the walls as being almost distinct sources of sound. In any event the soundstage grows and significantly extends beyond the speakers, and depth becomes more apparent. Fine details grab your attention as in "why haven't I noticed that before?" But it is also super challenging if you have any technical issues whatsoever to sort through, and sometimes stupid as it may sound just choosing the next piece can be an ordeal--fun one.

Plcamp

What we need, of course, is some method to measure the degree of impact music has on sober vs “enhanced” listeners.

Perhaps Elon Musk’s brain implants or other scanner could measure satisfaction vs stimulus on a population of whacked, semi-whacked and sober folks to quantify the actual value of “enhancement”?

Do endorphins rise more with enhanced vs sober listers?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What we need, of course, is some method to measure the degree of impact music has on sober vs “enhanced” listeners.

Perhaps Elon Musk’s brain implants or other scanner could measure satisfaction vs stimulus on a population of whacked, semi-whacked and sober folks to quantify the actual value of “enhancement”?

Do endorphins rise more with enhanced vs sober listers?
We need a constant measurement tool - turn the dial up the more you are enjoying your listening right now

Top Bottom