• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effect of Cannabis use on hearing

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My problem with smoking too much & listening to music is that I have spent excessive amounts of buzz time listening to the lead-out grooves on my LP before it occurred to me that the side is done and the record needs to be flipped over.
That has been historical problem with or without drugs. Bring back semi-automatic TTs. ;)

JRS

Major Contributor
I enjoy a few tokes on my dry weed vaporizer before playing a musical instrument or my music. I seldom drink alcohol any more. It's unhealty and I don't like the dumb-down effects in my head. It's only benefit to me is in a social setting where it helps with lowering inhibitions.

However, I am very wary of recommending any sensory enhancing substances to anyone, because my (50+ years) experience has shown me that everyone has a different reaction. Alcohol is similar ... it's hard to predict how imbibing folks will react.
You don't. Nevertheless I see some value in recommending activities with minor risk so long as the advisee seems capable of 'informed consent." Here the minor risk might be analagous to a panic attack. And so best practice would be with a friend or two in a low anxiety setting from which withdrawal to a bedroom is easy. The general reaction is enjoyment and have never seen anyone go psycho. But there absolutely is a risk with edibles--amd thats because nothing much happens for close to an hour, sometimes even two. People then double up on dose and potentially end up in a bad mental state for several hours--no fun! For that reason the staff at the dispensaries are very matter of fact about risk and proper dosing when selling to first time or occasional users unfamiliar with ingestion. No one wants to be dispensing misery. If only more bartenders were so circumspect with their patrons, likely save a bunch of lives and incalculable pain.

lowmagnet

My problem with smoking too much & listening to music is that I have spent excessive amounts of buzz time listening to the lead-out grooves on my LP before it occurred to me that the side is done and the record needs to be flipped over.
It's me, except dead air.

egellings

Major Contributor
You don't. Nevertheless I see some value in recommending activities with minor risk so long as the advisee seems capable of 'informed consent." Here the minor risk might be analagous to a panic attack. And so best practice would be with a friend or two in a low anxiety setting from which withdrawal to a bedroom is easy. The general reaction is enjoyment and have never seen anyone go psycho. But there absolutely is a risk with edibles--amd thats because nothing much happens for close to an hour, sometimes even two. People then double up on dose and potentially end up in a bad mental state for several hours--no fun! For that reason the staff at the dispensaries are very matter of fact about risk and proper dosing when selling to first time or occasional users unfamiliar with ingestion. No one wants to be dispensing misery. If only more bartenders were so circumspect with their patrons, likely save a bunch of lives and incalculable pain.
My problem with edibles is that they last too long. A couple of tokes on a joynt [I like that spelling] may last for a couple of hours, but an edible can last all day. That's okay, I 'spoze, if you know that you'll not be required to do anything requiring a significant act of mind. I made the mistake of eating one (a homade brownie) on a Saturday morning, when the phone rang shortly after imbibing. It takes about 40 or so minutes before the buzz kicks in for me after ingestion. Well, the place I worked for was running the factory and a test system for electronic modules would not work, and I needed to get there and fix it. A customer was in desperate need for some product. Shoot! I drove there, which took about 30 minutes, got in front of the test system to see what was wrong, and the buzz kicked in! Look at all those flashing little numbers on the instrumentation! Whe-e-e! I was baked. I had to punch through the buzz! Luckily, I was able to open a little window of analytical capability and notice that a cable had not been installed on the system, and installing that brought the system to life. Whew! I bit my tongue so hard to stop the grinning that it bled a bit. I left, only to find that there was no way that I was going to drive the car home, so I hoofed it to a nearby bar about 1/2 mile away and stayed until I felt that I could operate the car. I walked back to the workplace parking lot, got into the car and drove home without incident.

JRS

Major Contributor
Good story with happy ending. The duration is much different (4 to 5 hours typically if you don't count the delay between consuming and significant effects), but it's perfect for the way I use them which is week end nights or while camping. But for sure analytic skills that require concentration are nearly laid to rest--not so impossible as with psychedelics but "punching through" is an apt description. One aspect of edibles that's interesting from a pharmacologic standpoint is that like mushrooms or LSD, if you use two days in a row the effects are dramatically reduced, and require doubling or trebling the dose.

For this reason a daily smoker is apt to need 5 or even a heroic 10x the recommended 10mg dose. I'm not that guy who can seemingly function at baseline or even enhanced level like a few individuals I know who have amassed small fortunes in different areas while being very high on a daily basis. I'm not envious, just curious about the differences in neurochemistry. Which as mentioned a few posts ago can very considerable from person to person. Finally on a personal note, try as I might during college where I had access to different cannabis products, I never truly enjoyed it apart from sex (which is definitely fantastic) and audio. Made me feel stupid and paranoid and couldn't socialize worth a damn. Now after 60 years of genetic engineering, the growers have substantially removed the paranoid side effects and have strains running the entire spectrum from indica to sativa which definitely have different effect profiles as in I NEVER get the munchies nor sleepies (indica side effect) but definitely get the enhanced creativity and appreciation for most everything but especially art and music along with a flight of ideas that characterizes sativa.

Germinal

Haven’t smoked for around 15 years.. made me paranoia… became too self conscious… What I can remember from passed experience is : everything seemed good/perfect even it was bad.. didn’t have a nice stereo back then but even dumb movies were thought of as being great once when under the influence, can also remember being in awe because of a painting and staring at it for a long time. In my opinion the senses are rather numbed but the brain is in heightened state, meaning the sensory input becomes less important than the brain activity and because of this - under the influence - mental state everything you (think) you hear and see becomes so much more than it actually is.

Grumpish

I recently spent three months in South East Asia, avoiding winter, two of those in Thailand, where weed was legalized last year, and spent a more than a few enjoyable evenings sat on hotel balconies getting pleasantly stoned. The one consistent effect that I noticed that I was able to resolve and follow rhythms much better I normally can.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JRS

Major Contributor
That was pretty damn funny! Coming from an ex-Colorado dude known to haunt some really HIGH end audio salons.
I recently spent three months in South East Asia, avoiding winter, two of those in Thailand, where weed was legalized last year, and spent a more than a few enjoyable evenings sat on hotel balconies getting pleasantly stoned. The one consistent effect that I noticed that I was able to resolve and follow rhythms much better I normally can.
Ya mon, da ganja got some lovely beat; into your lungs and out your feet.

Svperstar

I may have already replied to this thread if so my bad.

I support weed being 100% legal in all 50 states, if people want to smoke weed all day the government shouldn't lock them up. Its their life.

However I've seen weed transform people. I went to college with one of my best High School friends, he lived in the same dorm as a weed hookup so he had unlimited access. He always liked to smoke, but it went to the next level. I went to that college for two years before I transferred. I wanted to go experience college life and all he wanted to do was smoke weed and watch anime 7 days a week.

My friends and I used to go to local restaurants and hang out. He never came not once in 2 years, he was always "busy" smoking weed and watching cartoons. I invited him to multiple college events he would just be like "lol no". I'm not exaggerating that weed became his entire life.

We don't talk anymore because I don't smoke and I don't watch anime so we had nothing left to talk about anymore. Last I heard he was just smoking 5x a day or more and doing absolutely nothing else.

JRS

Major Contributor
I may have already replied to this thread if so my bad.

I support weed being 100% legal in all 50 states, if people want to smoke weed all day the government shouldn't lock them up. Its their life.

However I've seen weed transform people. I went to college with one of my best High School friends, he lived in the same dorm as a weed hookup so he had unlimited access. He always liked to smoke, but it went to the next level. I went to that college for two years before I transferred. I wanted to go experience college life and all he wanted to do was smoke weed and watch anime 7 days a week.

My friends and I used to go to local restaurants and hang out. He never came not once in 2 years, he was always "busy" smoking weed and watching cartoons. I invited him to multiple college events he would just be like "lol no". I'm not exaggerating that weed became his entire life.

We don't talk anymore because I don't smoke and I don't watch anime so we had nothing left to talk about anymore. Last I heard he was just smoking 5x a day or more and doing absolutely nothing else.
Sad. I've seen my share of addiction including to pot. Its especially tragic in the adolescent population where the daily activity is to wake and bake and stay baked all day long. Needless to say, they fell behind socially, academically and in overall brain development--almost as if they were frozen in time and would never mature.

What's mystifying about addiction is that contrary to popular belief, lack of access prevents addiction. Maybe in Saudi Arabia where no alcohol is to be found, but whether its cannabis, alcohol or nicotine teens here manage to get their hands on these substances. The flip side is that with easy access use may increase but the percentage who go on to become addicted is fixed at about fifteen--almost irrespective of the effects and culture. Certainly exceptions exist here and there but enough studies have been done to be confident in the results. So while heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine are the most addictive substances, again about 85% are able to "play" with the drug and not go on to full blown addiction. Which is one of the bedeviling features of addiction--if everyone who touched the drug went on to become addicts, kids would stay away. But most dont and so they figure they won't get hooked.

Sounds like your friend was one of the fifteen percent.

egellings

Major Contributor
With skag, toot & meth, you are also supporting criminal activity by buying them. Since the drugs are not manufactured in controlled conditions to ensure purity and amount per dose, the buyer has no idea what's in their little bag.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe in Saudi Arabia where no alcohol is to be found
Not true, btw. If you go to "weddings", which are really sex-segregated parties, there is often an open bar at the men's party. Amazing that there is liquor and pot to be found when the penalties are so stiff. Of course if you know and/or are related to the right people...no prob.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With skag, toot & meth, you are also supporting criminal activity by buying them. Since the drugs are not manufactured in controlled conditions to ensure purity and amount per dose, the buyer has no idea what's in their little bag.
Exactly... Decades ago on the West Coast I bought a gram of weed from a street seller. I immediately opened the gram bag and the weed was wet as in maybe somebody spit in it... and this large guy walked up, appeared concerned and asked what is the problem and I said somebody maybe spit in my gram. He said wait here and like 2 minutes later another dood walked up and took the wet gram and gave me a dry gram. I was not impressed. He said this one is clean, dry and then walked away. I was not enthusiastic about smoking that gram. Nowadays I don't touch anything not from the legal cannabis store. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not true, btw. If you go to "weddings", which are really sex-segregated parties, there is often an open bar at the men's party. Amazing that there is liquor and pot to be found when the penalties are so stiff. Of course if you know and/or are related to the right people...no prob.
A ex girlfriend of mine was a airline stewardess and she worked in the Middle East ferrying Muslims to Meca on a 737. She was at a house party with open bottles of booze in a locked compound and the religious police or whatever they are came in and took everybody away and they scared the daylights out of her till early morning. She still is scared of them because they where that intimidating to her.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A ex girlfriend of mine was a airline stewardess and she worked in the Middle East ferrying Muslims to Meca on a 737. She was at a house party with open bottles of booze in a locked compound and the religious police or whatever they are came in and took everybody away and they scared the daylights out of her till early morning. She still is scared of them because they where that intimidating to her.
Probably the right palms were not greased.

Svperstar

Sad. I've seen my share of addiction including to pot. Its especially tragic in the adolescent population where the daily activity is to wake and bake and stay baked all day long. Needless to say, they fell behind socially, academically and in overall brain development--almost as if they were frozen in time and would never mature.

Sounds like your friend was one of the fifteen percent.

Yeah when we stopped talking we were both like 21, he was exactly the same as when he was 14. He had no hobbies at all besides anime. Plenty of people love anime as teens and kinda grow out of it as they age, if anything he aged in reverse and watched more anime at 21 then 14. He also would say there was zero evidence weed was bad blah blah he laughed off any suggestion weed could be bad for you.

Top Bottom