• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effect of a Comfy Chair on Room Measurements (an example)

OP
MaxRockbin

MaxRockbin

I just hold the mic underneath my chin. It isn't perfect, but more realistic than measuring an empty seat.

If you are looking for further improvement, I would recommend some absorbers on the ceiling. Tends to help with the vertical reflections being misaligned in 2 way designs.

Are your 8030C's high-passed properly? Just asking because that distortion spike above 10% at 50Hz seems to be an anomaly.
Good catch on the distortion. It's from an antique desk in the back of the room resonating (plus a doorknob I think). My big problem is that the only practical places for me to sit in the room are at lower parts of the bass nodes. I've done what I think I can with traps (maybe I can add a little more). But the corners are always going to have vastly higher bass energy when things are balanced at the listening position. And that means things vibrate. It's a problem. I would get more rockwool, but I'm out of room!

Actually, I didn't notice the desk was resonating as much as it is till you pointed out the distortion.

I think a 2nd sub would help. It seems a little wasteful considering what I have already easily overpowers the room. And actually I'm crossing over at 82hz because I think it reduces a nodes. Otherwise I'd probably go to 95hz.

I did experiment with the sub in the center of the room (right behind the chair). That helped things a lot! The catch is I just found the vibration too distracting while I'm working. Good for movies though!

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Second subwoofer would definitely make the bass a little smoother, although your result is already fairly good. Could do a cheap little DIY job just to cover 40-100Hz and let your existing sub keep handling stuff below 40Hz.

You could try putting sorbothane pads on the desk legs and behind any drawers latches. I had a stove in my old house which rattled at 80Hz, and 1/8" of that stuff neutralized it completely.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are several joking answers to this question. I didn't really take it seriously in the past either.
But I would also be interested, especially concerning the range around 100Hz. That's always particularly problematic and difficult to correct in my room. It makes a difference for the correction filters whether the chair is taken out or not.
This is such a central and obvious question, isn't there a standard from the studio world, e.g. from Genelec, Neumann, Dirac or from the AES context?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are several joking answers to this question. I didn't really take it seriously in the past either.
But I would also be interested, especially concerning the range around 100Hz. That's always particularly problematic and difficult to correct in my room. It makes a difference for the correction filters whether the chair is taken out or not.
This is such a central and obvious question, isn't there a standard from the studio world, e.g. from Genelec, Neumann, Dirac or from the AES context?
The range around 100 hz is usually SBIR related problems that can't and shouldn't try to be fixed by EQ. REW has a nice helpful manual that explains the concept of minimum and excess phase in the eyes of what to EQ and what to leave alone.

Top Bottom