• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Earthing sparks? (ft. Rega Schiit iFi miniDSP & Topping)

Japt

First time poster :).

I ran into a ground hum problem (very loud) in the following chain:

Rega P1 TT ----> Schiit Mani/iFi Zen Phono (doesn't matter which one) ----> miniDSP 2x4 HD (rca in--rca out) ---->Topping PA 5 x 2* ----> DIY LXmini speakers.

(*The RCA to TRS cables for interfacing the miniDSP and Topping amplifier were made according to the Hypex recommendation. I also tried the Rane configuration but got interference and a different kind of noise.)

The toslink and usb input on the miniDSP are also connected to other sources I have and they are unaffected. The hum ONLY appears when I use the RCA input for the TT. There's also no hum when I run the RCA output from my OPPO 105 to the RCA input of the miniDSP.

After much frustration, I came to the conclusion that the lack of earthing on any of the aforementioned product was probably the culprit. My OPPO does have a 3-pronged power plug and is connected to the miniDSP through toslink (it probably doesn't matter). So I ran a wire from the grounding post in the back of the phono preamp to the chassis of the OPPO and the hum went away completely! I was overjoyed.

BUT, just as I was trying to make the wiring more permanent and elegant, I saw sparks in the copper strands of the wire. (Both the OPPO and the phono preamp were powered off but plugged in when this happened.) Basically as I bring the wire into contact with a chassis screw on the OPPO, I can both see sparks and hear the crackling "electricity sound".

Should I be concerened? Is it safe to "ground" or "earth" my system this way? I have to be extra cautious because I have a 3 year old child.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

OP
J

Japt

Well, instead of connecting the ground on the phono preamp to the chassis of the earthed Oppo 105, I ended up connecting the minidsp 2x4 HD (thru a chassis screw) to the wall outlet directly, with a 1-prong plug (ground prong and wire only). I read a similar solution on the minidsp forum.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This will come from one of the devices (possibly the device connected to the USB of the DAC) having a high earth leakage current, probably from filter capacitors on it's mains input. It shouldn't be dangerous if the product is compliant with standards, but you can get a "tingle" from it if you touch it. The sparks are caused by the making/breaking of the earth connection as you touch the wire to the chassis screw. (as you can get with a 12V car battery for example)

I have a similar thing with my TV setup where I have many devices with earths all connected together. Then all the earth leakages from all the devices are added together.

Top Bottom