• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EarMen Tradutto Review (DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 144 71.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 48 23.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The 4.4 mm is clearly the little-guy getting sand kicked in his face. For the record, I really appreciate the 4.4mm headphone jack on my compact amp! Clean, simple and compact.
Which is exactly where it should stay- as the easily accessed, oft disconnected balanced headphone out on a device where XLRs are too bulky/ heavy. For which it is perfect and better IMO than the too small 2.5mm TRRS.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Which is exactly where it should stay- as the easily accessed, oft disconnected balanced headphone out on a device where XLRs are too bulky/ heavy. For which it is perfect and better IMO than the too small 2.5mm TRRS.
I have read that TRRRS connectors like 4.4mm can reduce crosstalk, but I have no personal expertise on the subject....

CedarX

Forum Donor
I have read that TRRRS connectors like 4.4mm can reduce crosstalk, but I have no personal expertise on the subject....
I believe it is relative to a TRS 3.5mm SE and it is more about avoiding the potential crosstalk issues from TRS to RCA cables/ adapters than reducing them: inevitably, TRS-RCA cables have a common ground section, which could be very short (just the TRS connector itself) or quite long (from the TRS connector to the “Y” branch out). If the impedance of this common ground section is non negligible, it will affect crosstalk performances. Interestingly, some headphone cables used (use?) this old trick as a simple “cross-feed” effect—an unusually high impedance single cable can be an indicator…

JanesJr1

I believe it is relative to a TRS 3.5mm SE and it is more about avoiding the potential crosstalk issues from TRS to RCA cables/ adapters than reducing them: inevitably, TRS-RCA cables have a common ground section, which could be very short (just the TRS connector itself) or quite long (from the TRS connector to the “Y” branch out). If the impedance of this common ground section is non negligible, it will affect crosstalk performances. Interestingly, some headphone cables used (use?) this old trick as a simple “cross-feed” effect—an unusually high impedance single cable can be an indicator…
Thank you for clarifying this!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

vkvedam

Forum Donor

Now that's why we don't need anymore audiophiles expressing their golden ear observations :rolleyes:

vkvedam

Forum Donor

DonR

Major Contributor
I have read more than good reviews for this device, so I wonder how relevant this review is. Especially when you look at the official measurements on the EarMen page and this one here.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19qBeFoz1cn6c8-2114sNCyNYvaSIiIm_
It's very likely that this product suffers from inconsistent quality control and thus @amirm got a dud but that is hardly a ringing endorsement for the product. However, the poor filter response is simply inexcusable.

DHT 845

Now that's why we don't need anymore audiophiles expressing their golden ear observations :rolleyes:
Srboljub Stojanovic heard and liked this in Tradutto

1644251946536.png

He likes HF distortions in DACs, that is obvious :)

He ownes R2R denafrips Ares 2 DAC. Previously he also liked more his Ares DAC to Topping D70s

Topping d70s:
1644252152936.png

confucius_zero

DHT 845

doesn't this make a "less sharp treble"?
That's a good question. I don't want to listen his topping d70s review any more, but the answer is there (why he likes this):
denafrips Ares II DAC :

1644258132126.png

Last edited:

CedarX

Forum Donor
doesn't this make a "less sharp treble"?
Possibly…. The question around 2nd vs. odd harmonics? I think there is nothing wrong in “liking” distortions, or liking the Tradutto as long as one is honest and discuss euphonic traits—I like impressionist paintings, yet they are very far from being perfect pictures! The Tradutto objectively measures poorly, but some may like it :cool:

DHT 845

I think there is nothing wrong in “liking” distortions, or liking the Tradutto...:cool:
Yes, but he's on the good way, he sold his Hegel amp and bought some class D IcePower 1200AS2 based amp :):D
But he did not admit that Hegel was piece of crap, just that new amp has better soundstage, bass etc.

In the next step he'll sell Ares 2, I am quite sure about it. It's just the matter of time.

Barry_Sound

Is the review based on price alone? Since there was no listening test I assume the DAC would sound fine anyway. Personally I avoid DACs with volume control because they mess up my mind (Mac output has volume control, DAC has volume control, Amp has volume control... please not).

Top Bottom