• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Heritage Special

PLB

I'm trying to follow your logic train here...

So if, hypothetically, my hybrid class A/D amp has more distortion than your class A/B amp....then I'm not seeing excessive woofer movement, and you are, because....?

Help me out, because I'm not mentally connecting the dots.
I’ll try and explain this so you can understand. You began by criticizing the amp I was using, implying it was to wimpy. So I was simply retuning the favor. This has nothing to do with whether or not your amp could reproduce the coil movement I was experiencing, I’m quite sure it could.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I’ll try and explain this so you can understand. You began by criticizing the amp I was using, implying it was to wimpy. So I was simply retuning the favor. This has nothing to do with whether or not your amp could reproduce the coil movement I was experiencing, I’m quite sure it could.

It was a joke, dude. That's why it had a ;).

Try turning on the infra sonic filter on your Accuphase and see if the problem goes away.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If it's a Tidal track, what's the procedure for analyzing a streaming file without RTA?

Not something I have much knowledge of, but surely there is a way. Does Tidal make it difficult to download and save the file? Is this something you're not supposed to do?

MrPeabody

As I noted above, my subsonic filter is turned on all the time because I listen to TT regularly.

I had noted that you had mentioned this, and it is one reason why I discouraged trying to sort out the issue by asking others if they see the same thing.

MrPeabody

So...

a) I turned off my infrasonic filter

b) Tried the Tidal track

Problem reproduced.

Ergo:

1. The Tidal track exhibits the problem

2. Because the Devialet infra filter eliminated the problem, and it manifested when I turned the filter off, it must be an infrasonic issue

Good work there, and it is just what I anticipated, but to nail the coffin shut, there still needs to be spectral analysis of the file. Even if it is streamed and not locally stored.

MrPeabody

Now, if you two want to do something way more fun that slinging spitballs, go look at that thread where Amir tested the UniFi 2.0 and get the file that he was listening to when he encountered The Problem, and see if you can observe the low-frequency cone movement (with the infrasonic filter bypassed of course). If you see it, try it again with the infrasonic filter engaged. See if your ears can pick out what Amir heard, and see if it goes away with the infrasonic filter inserted.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does Tidal make it difficult to download and save the file? Is this something you're not supposed to do?
That's exactly what you are not meant to do ;).
You can do it by recording it in real time in something like audacity.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Now, if you two want to do something way more fun that slinging spitballs, go look at that thread where Amir tested the UniFi 2.0 and get the file that he was listening to when he encountered The Problem, and see if you can observe the low-frequency cone movement (with the infrasonic filter bypassed of course). If you see it, try it again with the infrasonic filter engaged. See if your ears can pick out what Amir heard, and see if it goes away with the infrasonic filter inserted.

Amir can hear infrasonic things?? ;)

But I can induce audible-range bass IMD with infra sonic harmonic components via my bass guitar, anyway.

Low F# is 23 Hz.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
So you need to filter out the distortion before you measure?
It is not distortion. All class D amplifiers generate a switching frequency which is generally filtered out by a combination of the output inductor and the inductance of the tweeter. When measuring on a test bench, a load resistor is used which does not have the inductance of a speaker. The AES-17 takes that fact into account.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is not distortion. All class D amplifiers generate a switching frequency which is generally filtered out by a combination of the output inductor and the inductance of the tweeter. When measuring on a test bench, a load resistor is used which does not have the inductance of a speaker. The AES-17 takes that fact into account.

I think it's telling that the best 3 amps measured here so far have all been Class D.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I see, that’s what you meant by crud.
Would you be happier if I described it by its proper name, or is 'crud' too pejorative?

Top Bottom