• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Heritage Special

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It absolutely is not. Many audiophiles run flea watt tube amps into high efficiency speakers.
One of my systems has been like that but I would not term it "high fidelity" more "audiophile" nut case :) but fun.
I still use the speakers (109dB/watt) most days but any amp I own drives them fine from both a noise and distortion pov. Currently using a Job INTegrated which works perfectly with them but is nla.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@RobS

I think you and I have just have completely different views on the importance of amplifiers. I've been careful to say "sonically" or "sound quality" for a reason, as none of the "issues" you mention are even close to audible with the best class D amps.

But you just said more power determines sound quality, so why ignore it?

A couple reasons.

1. While it's true that power does completely encapsulate blind listening condition amplifer sound quality(so long as all other "issues" are below audible threshold), we don't listen under blind listening conditions. Power only matters at the highest listening levels, where as aesthetic bias will increase sound quality at all levels. So, as long as "issues" are below human hearing thresholds(which they are for all decents amps), I think it's best to buy what you have the most visual bias for.

2. This is all getting off topic for this thread. I'd definitely be willing to continue the discussion in another thread if you want, but for the sake of this thread, I think we may have to just agree to disagree :).

Everything in the audio chain matters. From the transducers, to the amplification, to the source. Granted the transducers will largely shape how sound is reproduced, but the more resolving a speaker is, the more differences can be clearly heard upstream.

This is why I say we may just have to agree to disagree. I'm of the opinion that at any reasonable listening level, speakers, room, placements/positions, and DSP make up 99.99% of all that matters. Cables, DACs, Pre-amps, amps, etc. are less than .01% of sound quality in my mind. If you listen to vinyl, then turntable stuff matters too, but I'm purely digital, so no experience with that.

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm of the opinion that at any reasonable listening level, speakers, room, placements/positions, and DSP make up 99.99% of all that matters

This is my opinion as well. All my class d amps, dacs are inside my speakers. Getting the room and speaker position along with a little DSP is about 99% of it. I will say in my room the second best I heard were Revel 226be with class d amps. This everything in the chain matters is a favorite audiophile meme. As long as you have decent measuring components no matter the class of amp or type of dac the most important for sound quality is your room and speakers.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I always appreciate when audio people say plainly that the speakers and the room (and the pickup for vinyl cavemen) are responsible for 99% or more of sound quality, and all the rest of it combined accounts for less than 1%. It is always possible to make a bad amplifier purchase and get one with a noise floor high enough to be heard, or one with barely audible distortion, but this doesn't often happen. For people who don't mess with vinyl, it's mostly about the speakers. And proper integration of the main speakers with the subwoofer, which isn't difficult nowadays thanks to convenient solutions built in to receivers and preamplifiers. And the room of course, which matters, but possibly not as much as people sometimes think, except in cases where the room is really bad, and in those cases the best thing to do is to move it all to a different room or else bite the bullet and get a good pair of headphones.

RobS

Forum Donor
The A/D hybrid is not like a class A/B where the amp is class A up to a certain power then crosses over to class-B.
It is class A at all powers. The class A amp defines the voltage and the (4 per channel running at different phases iirc) class D amps are controlled to supply the current, a bit along the lines of the much earlier Quad current dumping idea.
So effectively you have a 400+ watt class A amp performance without it running all that hot.
How hot they do run has varied with firmware updates IME.
Yeah they digitize the input signal, which makes it instantly craptacular.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Brings tears to my eyes, but each to their own.

There's a tool for that, available on eBay.

Just like a wine opener!

s-l1600.jpg

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I've developed an OCD habit now of putting the grills on after each listening session, and then pulling them off again for listening, because I'm worried about that expensive tweeter and fantasize that the cloth + grill frame actually provides a modicum of protection.

At least more than no grill, right?

Top Bottom