• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Heritage Special

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I would be suspicious of a voice coil in a speaker needing to 'warm up' to start sounding its best. Normally a heating voice coil is a bad thing because it leads to dynamic compression due to the fluctuation of resistance with temperature. If I squint, I could convince myself that the woofer's surround could become more flexible as it warms from use, and perhaps that could alter the bass for the better. Maybe. :oops:

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I would be suspicious of a voice coil in a speaker needing to 'warm up' to start sounding its best. Normally a heating voice coil is a bad thing because it leads to dynamic compression due to the fluctuation of resistance with temperature. If I squint, I could convince myself that the woofer's surround could become more flexible as it warms from use, and perhaps that could alter the bass for the better. Maybe. :oops:

It certainly leads to dynamic compression if the VC gets too hot.

Maybe, as you said, the rubber in the surround?

I should write to Dynaudio and ask them why the manual says that and what's happening.

RobS

Forum Donor
Just for intellectual curiosity?

I don't think I've ever tried to calculate damping factor for a purchasing decision I was going to make.

When deciding on purchasing an amplifier (and cabling) it does matter. You can have frequency response changes, in some instances a 2-3db drop, which you'll hear from the speaker output in the low end and crossover point. To limit the amplitude variations you would need to get a high enough damping factor where the frequency change is <0.2db for it not to be noticeable in an ABX test.

Anyway, if the impedance plots are similar enough to Special Forty and Confidence C1, and my amplifier's high damping factor including the cabling, the drop should only be around 0.07db which won't be noticed.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
When deciding on purchasing an amplifier (and cabling) it does matter. You can have frequency response changes, in some instances a 2-3db drop, which you'll hear from the speaker output in the low end and crossover point. To limit the amplitude variations you would need to get a high enough damping factor where the frequency change is <0.2db for it not to be noticeable in an ABX test.

Anyway, if the impedance plots are similar enough to Special Forty and Confidence C1, and my amplifier's high damping factor including the cabling, the drop should only be around 0.07db which won't be noticed.

What kind of amp are you using?

I'd only bother to worry about it, personally, if I was using a tube amp.

(which I don't)

Last edited:

ElijahAudio

Hi All, Michael here, first post
Just bought HS pair 404 from Addicted to Audio in Adelaide, South Australia
Calyx 24/192 into Primare I32 to HS (Replaced Magnat 1003 Standmounts)
My first truly Hi End speakers -though have had Sonus Faber Auditor M's, I think the Heritage S's sound easily whips the attractive Italians
The looks are almost plain jane from a distance, which may be intentional - like a sleeper car with a huge v8 shoehorned into it- but the sound, to my ears, is almost otherworldly - and I only got them yesterday!
I can't imagine how much better they will get with protracted use
I listened for 5 hours last night after setting them up ( just bluetacked onto my homemade 40 kg steel stands - getting Stand 20's and plate tomorrow) and all I kept thinking was - how the truck do they get that much sound from such a small box
After paying for them - I kept thinking ... so much money, so much - after listening for a few hours, I now think, what a bargain for the huge jump in sound quality
Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the "Sleeper" Heritage Specials

Robmoores1

Hi All, Michael here, first post
Just bought HS pair 404 from Addicted to Audio in Adelaide, South Australia
Calyx 24/192 into Primare I32 to HS (Replaced Magnat 1003 Standmounts)
My first truly Hi End speakers -though have had Sonus Faber Auditor M's, I think the Heritage S's sound easily whips the attractive Italians
The looks are almost plain jane from a distance, which may be intentional - like a sleeper car with a huge v8 shoehorned into it- but the sound, to my ears, is almost otherworldly - and I only got them yesterday!
I can't imagine how much better they will get with protracted use
I listened for 5 hours last night after setting them up ( just bluetacked onto my homemade 40 kg steel stands - getting Stand 20's and plate tomorrow) and all I kept thinking was - how the truck do they get that much sound from such a small box
After paying for them - I kept thinking ... so much money, so much - after listening for a few hours, I now think, what a bargain for the huge jump in sound quality
Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the "Sleeper" Heritage Specials

Congratulations on the new speakers. They are remarkable and, as you say, actually a bargain for the sound quality the produce.

ElijahAudio

Short Update - my credit card is sitting in a bowl of water to cool down after purchasing a 2nd hand HEGEL H390 (6 months old, $10,000 new - got it for $6,500 .. ! ) - the Sound quality in my room has just about doubled after plugging in the Hegel - My God - what a pairing - what I heard with the Calyx/Primare combo has become more lifelike , more dynamic, more organic ( I use Jplay Hibernate mode and Fidelizer 8) - I love, love, love it...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I could convince myself that the woofer's surround could become more flexible as it warms from use
Polymer stiffness varies a fair bit with temperature.
It will probably surprise (or bore to tears) non engineers and non enthusiasts that during the 2 seasons we ran flexible skirts on F1 cars I had to balance grip against wear using different hardness (we could measure hardness with a durometer) strips of polyurethane. The balance was with too flexible a skirt it sucked in too far and we lost too much of the low pressure under the car with one too stiff it touched the ground too hard or too often and wore out too quickly. We ran completely different skirt materials on hot or cold days.
This choice was literally the difference between winning the race and being uncompetitive or inconsistent.

I have always assumed all surround stiffness related aspects of loudspeaker performance to be influenced by their temperature ever since :) and been pretty confident that it must be, in fact.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Lavawood

Forum Donor
887C915A-A7A7-4340-A29F-29ABE7B955BA.jpeg

RobS

Forum Donor
Nice to see them stacked for comparison. I just love the walnut of the HS and the lack of grill holes.

Are they going to do a review?

PLB

Had some erratic driver movement while playing the first track on the attached album at a medium high level. Can someone try this track and let me know if you experience the same before I start trouble shooting.

Attachments

• D645674A-1E69-45ED-B24E-1863D8963F30.jpeg
    D645674A-1E69-45ED-B24E-1863D8963F30.jpeg
    633.3 KB · Views: 134

RobS

Forum Donor
What is the driver doing exactly? Can you measure what "medium high level" is for you so we can get to the same dbSPL?

BTW what amplifier are you using to drive them?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Had some erratic driver movement while playing the first track on the attached album at a medium high level. Can someone try this track and let me know if you experience the same before I start trouble shooting.

What SPL?

I'm not even seeing the drivers move at what I consider normal listening levels, 75-85 dBA at a distance of 5-6 meters.

PLB

The driver has excessive movement, using an Accuphase E 470 with the volume at 10 O’clock.

Top Bottom