• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dumb user :OPPO BDP-105

audiopile

some years ago I bought a used OPPO BDP-105. Purchase was motivated by the it'll play anything plus dedicated balanced stereo outputs. Compared to my favored Rotel RCD-975's -I preferred the Rotel for CD playback -so both were fed into my stereo system -only used the Oppo for DVD playback (a little disappointed ). The other day while fiddlin around with the HDMI outputs - I got to thinkin :"Had I reset to factory defaults " ?? Ya know -I remember quickly looking thru the fairly massive owner's manual and not finding it ? So- this time sat down and read the manual cover to cover -finally-there was the factory reset (English manual for BDP-105 page 78 - BDP-105D on page 80) -reset to factory and then went thru a set up for pretty much straight thru audio turned off a few signal assistance ? features and set for large speakers and no subs or surround. The balanced outputs go to a Mytek ADC and onto my speakers from there -the OPPO now lives up to it's reputation rather handily -despite the compromises inherent in my signal chain. Given that my day job frequently involves starting with defaulting to factory settings -don't know how this got past me -but it did. So-if you buy any of today's more advanced digital products USED (probably not a terrible idea even for reputedly factory new)- factory reset obviously makes sense -me dummie )-: .

Last edited:

TimF

Forum Donor
Why hasn't some company bought the design or rights of use of design from Oppo to the UDP-205, and commenced producing it for sale? It appears to be a well qualified technological success. Is it too expensive to produce relative to the maximum price it could command? Is it that streaming and computer based music access made the UDP-205 unnecessary? Is it that excellent DAC's became available at prices below $500? Will the UDP-205 become a legend?

OP
A

audiopile

The only product that I had much experience with that actually did this (same design-different assemblers) was the NAD 3020 decades ago. There were at least three manufacture's of this product over the years. This wasn't necessarily a real smooth transition for NAD (at one point my boss was opening every 3020 we got and personally function testing them - he still won't tell me just how many flunked and I haven't worked for him in 20+ years. BTW -best boss I .ever had!) . Now look at simply the parts count between a UDP-205 and a NAD 3020 ? Without a mass market for high quality/non-boutique players for physical media - a cloned new Oppo would probably move up into a price range that tends to suppress sales - it's a vicious spiral.

Siwel

Forum Donor
My 105 is now 6 years old and has been operating as a main source for a highly resolving set up. Mine has some operational bugs but it keeps on chugging, albeit with certain disadvantages respecting streaming. Like no new app support so no Qobuz, Amazon, Spotify, etc. Other than that, it's really very good. I don't use its signal processing or preamp features (I have a dedicated crossover and separate pre) but as a player, its excellent. I wish they were still in business selling new gear, but they do service the old stuff, which is something.

I rue not buying a 205 when they were available and I'm not sure what to replace it with when the time comes.

OP
A

audiopile

That really is the question -what to substitute for the OPPO's ? It's sorta weird -once you have a plays everything player - you tend to fall into DVD-A and SACD discs just by keeping your eyes open, Now -I'd really hate not being able to play them (This is the reason I don't own a 78rpm set up -I really don't need another format REALLY -I don't!.!! This is the curse of the if you have it -they will come.). I should have just gone for the stereo analog outputs years ago - simpler for me /less screwing around to tell the player what to do with the discs and SWMBO'd can actually use without the "There's no sound" compliant.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
My 105 is now 6 years old and has been operating as a main source for a highly resolving set up. Mine has some operational bugs but it keeps on chugging, albeit with certain disadvantages respecting streaming. Like no new app support so no Qobuz, Amazon, Spotify, etc. Other than that, it's really very good. I don't use its signal processing or preamp features (I have a dedicated crossover and separate pre) but as a player, its excellent. I wish they were still in business selling new gear, but they do service the old stuff, which is something.

I rue not buying a 205 when they were available and I'm not sure what to replace it with when the time comes.
It's been a year since your post ... I am in a similar position as you were then, using the BDP-105 as the hub of my system, wishing I had bought a BDP-205 when they were reasonably priced, and wondering what I would replace the 105 with if the disc transport or whatnot ever failed. I looked at a few blu-ray player threads on ASR but couldn't warm up to the current Panasonic and Sony offerings. Neither one does everything that the Oppo does (I use mine as a multichannel preamp, for playing SACDs and video discs, and as a USB DAC); their superiority on the video side doesn't matter with my modest screen.

So I just bought another Oppo BDP-105, in silver for the variety. Even that wasn't cheap, but at least I have some insurance now.

OP
A

audiopile

I bought a replacement laser assembley for mine -this was the only part pretty much guaranteed to fail with use. And I'd buy another BDP-105/d if one comes by at a half reasonable price. I paid almost new retail price for a used one by the time my previous plays everythng player died -this is a gap in the market and I'm afraid tells me a lot about just how small the demand for our shared hobby/untreated obsession has become.

MLaranjeiras

alguns anos atrás eu comprei um OPPO BDP-105 usado. A compra foi motivada pelo fato de tocar qualquer coisa além de saídas estéreo balanceadas dedicadas. Comparado com o meu Rotel RCD-975 favorito - eu preferia o Rotel para reprodução de CD - então ambos foram alimentados em meu sistema estéreo - usei apenas o Oppo para reprodução de DVD (um pouco decepcionado). Outro dia, enquanto mexia nas saídas HDMI - comecei a pensar: "Eu tinha redefinido para os padrões de fábrica" ?? Você sabe - lembro-me rapidamente de olhar para o proprietário bastante grande ' s manual e não encontrá-lo? Então - desta vez sentou-se e leu a capa à capa do manual - por fim - houve a redefinição de fábrica (manual em inglês para BDP-105 página 78 - BDP-105D na página 80) - redefiniu para fábrica e, em seguida, passou por uma configuração para praticamente direto através de áudio desligou alguns sinais de assistência? recursos e conjunto para alto-falantes grandes e sem subs ou surround. As saídas balanceadas vão para um ADC Mytek e para meus alto-falantes de lá - o OPPO agora faz jus à sua reputação com bastante folga - apesar dos compromissos inerentes à minha cadeia de sinal. Dado que meu trabalho diário frequentemente envolve começar com as configurações de fábrica - não sei como isso passou por mim - mas passou. Então, se você comprar algum de hoje '
Devido à febre MQA, recentemente comparei o Tidal por meio de duas opções disponíveis no meu aparelho:

1 - mconnect no meu pobre smartphone ao meu Oppo BDP 105 (sem suporte MQA) através da minha rede doméstica e do Oppo passando por um cabo toslink KabelDirect barato para o meu Topping E50.

2 - Tidal no meu Mac Mini para o Topping E50 (suporta MQA) via cabo USB genérico que vem na embalagem deste DAC.

Resultado à primeira vista: nenhuma diferença audível de áudio.

Assim que estiver procurando por um conjunto mínimo, posso fazer mais alguns testes e desencaixar o Mac Mini + Topping E50

Outro ponto é o Audirvaña, que percebi que obtém alguns ganhos de qualidade (não só como Loudness, percebi). Mas, é mais uma coisa a adicionar (e pagar para sempre).

Conclusão:

1 - Meu Oppo BDP 105 construído em 2013 continua muito competitivo e é mais prático usar um smartphone ao invés de um teclado.

2 - Alguns ganhos podem ser obtidos com MQA, principalmente se você tiver uma sala razoável e um conjunto bem balanceado. Ainda não tenho uma boa sala de escuta.

3 - Vou manter esta dupla adicional do Topping E50 e Mac Mini para mais testes, mas no momento, eles não aumentam a qualidade em relação ao Oppo BDP 105.

MLaranjeiras

Devido à febre MQA, recentemente comparei o Tidal por meio de duas opções disponíveis no meu aparelho:

1 - mconnect no meu pobre smartphone ao meu Oppo BDP 105 (sem suporte MQA) através da minha rede doméstica e do Oppo passando por um cabo toslink KabelDirect barato para o meu Topping E50.

2 - Tidal no meu Mac Mini para o Topping E50 (suporta MQA) via cabo USB genérico que vem na embalagem deste DAC.

Resultado à primeira vista: nenhuma diferença audível de áudio.

Assim que estiver procurando por um conjunto mínimo, posso fazer mais alguns testes e desencaixar o Mac Mini + Topping E50

Outro ponto é o Audirvaña, que percebi que obtém alguns ganhos de qualidade (não só como Loudness, percebi). Mas, é mais uma coisa a adicionar (e pagar para sempre).

Conclusão:

1 - Meu Oppo BDP 105 construído em 2013 continua muito competitivo e é mais prático usar um smartphone ao invés de um teclado.

2 - Alguns ganhos podem ser obtidos com MQA, principalmente se você tiver uma sala razoável e um conjunto bem balanceado. Ainda não tenho uma boa sala de escuta.

3 - Vou manter esta dupla adicional do Topping E50 e Mac Mini para mais testes, mas no momento, eles não aumentam a qualidade em relação ao Oppo BDP 105.
In English:

Due MQA fever, I recently compared Tidal via two options available on my set:

1 - mconnect on my poor smartphone to my Oppo BDP 105 (no MQA support) via my home network and from the Oppo going via a cheap KabelDirect toslink cable to my Topping E50.

2 - Tidal on my Mac Mini to the Topping E50 (supports MQA) via generic USB cable that comes on the package of this DAC.

Result on a first glance: no audible audio difference.

Once I am looking for a mininal set, I could make some more tests and discar Mac Mini + Topping E50

Other point is Audirvaña, that I realized gets some gains on quality (not only as a Loudness like, I realized). But, it is one more thing to add (and pay forever).

Bottom line:

1 - My Oppo BDP 105 built in 2013 continues very competitive and it is more practical to use a smartphone instead a keyboard.

2 - Some gains might be obtained with MQA, specially if you have a reasonable room and a well balanced set. I do not have yet a good listening room.

3 - I will keep this adittional dueto Topping E50 and Mac Mini for further tests, but at this moment, they do not increase quality compared with the Oppo BDP 105.

Top Bottom