• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual sub recommendations for mixed use 2700cu ft room?

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forgot to mention... I also asked Tom from PSA. For 3000 cubic feet, 10 dB below reference, 5-10 feet listening distance, movies, music, sealed.

PSA recommendation: 2x S1512DF $2100 (I told him $4000 budget)

Rythmik recommendation - 2x G25HP $4500 (I didn't say budget)

Tom (PSA) was much more thorough in his answer and it seemed like he already tested a scenario like this. Enrico (Rythmik) gave no reasoning. Too bad that the PSA subwoofers didn't work out. Mine had buzzing issue that I wasn't able to resolve, so I had to send them back.
How do you like the G25HP? How would you characterize the mid bass at spirited listening levels? I assume the low end is pretty stout as Rythmik reports being +1 dB from the FV15HP at 20 Hz, which is going to make it anywhere from a little above around port tune, to +6-7 dB everywhere else. What finish did you get? I'm considering a pair of PSA S3012. I expect them to be a bit more capable than their sealed 18" versions, whether standard Neo or Ipal. I think the G25HP is quite a bit more capable down low(6 dB or so).

Senior NEET Engineer

How do you like the G25HP? How would you characterize the mid bass at spirited listening levels? I assume the low end is pretty stout as Rythmik reports being +1 dB from the FV15HP at 20 Hz, which is going to make it anywhere from a little above around port tune, to +6-7 dB everywhere else. What finish did you get? I'm considering a pair of PSA S3012. I expect them to be a bit more capable than their sealed 18" versions, whether standard Neo or Ipal. I think the G25HP is quite a bit more capable down low(6 dB or so).

I don't have any complaints about the sound quality. It integrates seamlessly and extension is beyond 5hz. I didn't notice any improvement in mid bass after adding it to my system with 100hz heavy music. IIRC my spirited listening level is around 87 dB C (103 peak). If my speakers alone can handle it, I doubt the sub would be struggling.

I regret it slightly due to how large and hideous it is. I'm planning to leave it in the back of the room and add dual E15HP2 to the front. Right now it is kind of in the middle of the room, around 5 feet behind the main listening position. I placed it where 10-30hz is boosted, although there is a null around 37hz from SBIR (I am 8 feet from front wall).

Bear123

Thats going to be some crazy capability with all three. You should have full reference level capability into the single digits. I know a lot of people say they don't listen that loud, but even at -15MV, if running the subs a little hot with DEQ and redirected bass, SPL requirement can easily exceed reference level i.e. 115 dB. Takes a lot of subwoofer to handle that.

theory

Also interested in what op will end up picking. I was also debating on picking up a pc-2000 pro mainly because ported/small footprint and nice to have downfiring because of kids etc to help protect the woofer. Was also looking at rythmik too but some of their ported boxes can get fairly large as do most ported boxes.

Cane1992

I have 2 Rythmik F-12SE and have found them to be just perfect. Not over powering the music but adding to it and when needed for movies giving that punch and "WOW" factor. If anything I would have gone even bigger to their E15 or F15.

shellback

Audio Company
Have you taken a look at JTR? Their subwoofers are top notch.

OP
T

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you made a decision on subs yet?

Sorry, I got distracted. After really thinking it through, it occurred to me that I'd be lucky to use these even 1 hour per day so I just sort of let it go. Sorry, I know that anticlimactic - what I'll probably do is wait for a PSA sale, even Black Friday is fine, and grab the 2x S1512's.

I did see that JTR is within driving distance so maybe I'll stop in someday, but they break the budget a bit for dual subs. Thanks for all your input, to me the fun part of this is how much I learned so far!

shellback

Audio Company
I did see that JTR is within driving distance so maybe I'll stop in someday, but they break the budget a bit for dual subs. Thanks for all your input, to me the fun part of this is how much I learned so far!
Talk to Jeff. He typically will offer discounts on multiple subs and for returning customers.

Worse comes to worse go have him give you a test drive of their capabilities. You won't be disappointed.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone else here besides Neet Engineer had the buzzing issue with PSA subs? Contacted Rythmik and they said noise in most speakers is due to DSP, which I believe the PSA subwoofers have. (I didn't mention this to Rythmik, just said I can't stand studio monitors with hiss.)

I love the finish on the PSA subwoofers, but need them to be silent. Anyone know if it's normal for them to buzz or hiss? (Electronics should hiss high enough the noise would be gone with a low pass filter unless they are designed broken.)

Seems like a better value and more durable with the finish. Just need to get over the paper 15" drivers looking exceptionally cheap and soggy/soft.

Bear123

Has anyone else here besides Neet Engineer had the buzzing issue with PSA subs? Contacted Rythmik and they said noise in most speakers is due to DSP, which I believe the PSA subwoofers have. (I didn't mention this to Rythmik, just said I can't stand studio monitors with hiss.)

I love the finish on the PSA subwoofers, but need them to be silent. Anyone know if it's normal for them to buzz or hiss? (Electronics should hiss high enough the noise would be gone with a low pass filter unless they are designed broken.)

Seems like a better value and more durable with the finish. Just need to get over the paper 15" drivers looking exceptionally cheap and soggy/soft.

I demo'd a pair of PSA S1512 subs that use their new B&C Neo drivers. They were dead silent in my room using BJC LC-1 subwoofer cables. One on a short run of maybe 6 feet, the other a 25 foot run. The drivers actually look really nice once you get used to the look of pro drivers. The cones are very stiff.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have the V1510 and V1512. No buzzing issues.

I would post in the AVS forum PSA owners thread. Lots of PSA sub experience there where someone can probably tell you what's going on https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-power-sound-audio-subwoofer-thread.1372020/

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the V1510 and V1512. No buzzing issues.

I would post in the AVS forum PSA owners thread. Lots of PSA sub experience there where someone can probably tell you what's going on https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-power-sound-audio-subwoofer-thread.1372020/

Thanks, I've since done so and gotten some feedback. To clarify that you have no issues... Is there any hiss or electronic noise at all with your ear as close to the driver as you can get it? How quiet is your room? Really leaning towards PSA due to the finish and price for a dual 15".

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ended up getting the 15" sealed down firing PSA subwoofers. They are indeed dead silent, and that was just running from cheap RCA cables (not the thin ones, but cheap, thicker ones.)

Tried front corner placement, then made it asymmetrical moving one in, then tried moving both in, and it seems like having them both a quarter length in from the side walls, then shifting one a couple of feet was the best to get the nulls to not line up and to measure relatively flat with REW.

Ended up returning them because they didn't sound like the bass that comes from the Genelec 8260 monitors they are paired with.

Now I'm slowly losing hope of finding used Genelec 7271 subwoofers, and might move to Rythmik after I find something that does Dirac Live Bass Management and clearly states that and doesn't cost $4000.

OP
T

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ended up returning them because they didn't sound like the bass that comes from the Genelec 8260 monitors they are paired with.

Can you expand on this a bit?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you expand on this a bit?

Any position I put them in, they sounded like a different system compared to the Genelec monitors. Imagine having a different speaker model on the left vs the right, but in this case it sounds like that, but not left to right, but with treble and midrange vs bass.

Any EQing I did with a MiniDSP didn't compensate enough to make them sound the same/as tight/as good as the Genelec's.

Might need to try Dirac Live, might need to get a subwoofer that supports GLM, might need to get crazy with placement. Might be the living room is too small and I'll need more subwoofers.

Could also be like speakers where 95% of them have clearly audible issues.

Top Bottom