• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mixing a sb 1000 with a sb 3000???

No_hair_left

So my understanding is that the phases will be different and I did see that svs ed guy say its best not to, but due to size and money its really my only option. Has anyone mixed these 2 with acceptable results or something similar?

My room is too small for 2 sb3000 and to be honest a massive waste given that I'm currently running my sub at -25 to -20. I wont be moving home anytime soon but I really need to move/improve the null in the mlp. Its also really really easy to localise my sub at any given moment too, no matter where I put it.

Most answers will probably be "just get another 3000" but I want to make it clear this is not an option I am looking into. I just want to know if I can mix sealed subs from the same brand if possible, I have a 3800h and could probably stretch to getting a umik on top.

My sb 3000 is currently 1ft in from sub position 2 as thats closest to the tv to try and anchor the sound.

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpeg
    IMG_0206.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 41

droid2000

I am running both, and I party like it's 1999 whenever the neighbors aren't home. I think it sounds really good.

I like stealth setups. So in addition to all gear out of sight, I've got the 3000 out of sight behind curtains where there is a big enough gap to fit it. The 1000 is also behind curtains on another wall where is a big enough gap to fit it (but not a 3000). It's all a less than ideal positioning, but Dirac smooths it all out pretty well.

OP
N

No_hair_left

I am running both, and I party like it's 1999 whenever the neighbors aren't home. I think it sounds really good.

I like stealth setups. So in addition to all gear out of sight, I've got the 3000 out of sight behind curtains where there is a big enough gap to fit it. The 1000 is also behind curtains on another wall where is a big enough gap to fit it (but not a 3000). It's all a less than ideal positioning, but Dirac smooths it all out pretty well.
Nice, did you have any trouble getting them to play nice together? do you have the dirac bass management add on or just standard dirac live, I was looking to get the limited licence but really am not sure its worth the extra £200 as Im already happy with the sound from my setup, just the bass null at mlp

droid2000

Nice, did you have any trouble getting them to play nice together? do you have the dirac bass management add on or just standard dirac live, I was looking to get the limited licence but really am not sure its worth the extra £200 as Im already happy with the sound from my setup, just the bass null at mlp

Yeah, I have DLBC, it handled everything. I didn’t have to do anything special to get them to work together.

Have you tried moving your existing sub to all 3 possible locations to try and eliminate the bass null? I’m not super knowledgeable, so double check me on this, but if your existing sub can’t eliminate the null from any of the possible locations, then adding another sub to one of those same locations may not eliminate the null either. But like I said, I could be wrong about that.

OP
N

No_hair_left

Yeah, I have DLBC, it handled everything. I didn’t have to do anything special to get them to work together.

Have you tried moving your existing sub to all 3 possible locations to try and eliminate the bass null? I’m not super knowledgeable, so double check me on this, but if your existing sub can’t eliminate the null from any of the possible locations, then adding another sub to one of those same locations may not eliminate the null either. But like I said, I could be wrong about that.
Oh really? thats depressing if true as I have tried 5 different positions lol, my understanding was that adding an extra sub would possibly move the null somewhere else, I will have to check this now or hopefully someone else will come along with more knowledge.

Last edited:

droid2000

Oh really? thats depressing it true as I have tried 5 different positions lol, my understand was that adding an extra sub would possibly move the null somewhere else, I will have to check this now or hopefully someone else will come along with more knowledge.

Don't be depressed, I could very well be wrong! If it's expensive/difficult to return the sub, then you may want to confirm that your strategy will work first before buying it, given that the existing sub couldn't remove the null from any position.

If it's easy to return the new sub then maybe just go for it! :D

MarkS

Major Contributor
Your MLP is in the middle of the room, that's always a null for multiple frequencies. If you can, try moving the sofa forward or backward a few feet. I would also try (if posible) putting the sub behind or next to the sofa. As droid2000 said, if you can't get good bass with one quality sub at a single MLP, more subs aren't going to help much. As for localization, what crossover freq are you using?

You might also try software to game out positioning. Do it for a rectangular room ignoring the kitchen. This won't get it quite right, but it should be instructive to see what does and doesn't work to get bass at the MLP in that idealized situation.

OP
N

No_hair_left

Your MLP is in the middle of the room, that's always a null for multiple frequencies. If you can, try moving the sofa forward or backward a few feet. I would also try (if posible) putting the sub behind or next to the sofa. As droid2000 said, if you can't get good bass with one quality sub at a single MLP, more subs aren't going to help much. As for localization, what crossover freq are you using?

You might also try software to game out positioning. Do it for a rectangular room ignoring the kitchen. This won't get it quite right, but it should be instructive to see what does and doesn't work to get bass at the MLP in that idealized situation.
Cant move the sofa due to the ceiling atmos, I stupidly did that first without thinking about the sub/bass, crossover is 80 with dali oberon 5 fronts/center, 90 for surrounds and 150 for atmos. Ill try it in the center behind the sofa. What does game out positioning mean?

MarkS

Major Contributor
What does game out positioning mean?
Just that you can test out positions of the subwoofer (and/or main speakers) virtually, without having to lug them around.

Main speaker positioning can also be an issue.

You should also get a measurement mic and REW software (free!) to get a better picture of what's happening in your room.

Top Bottom