• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual op-amps OPA1612

JktHifi

SMSL SU-10 vs M500 MKIII vs DO300
21 vs 9 vs 11 dual op-amps OPA1612 (accoring to the spec from smsl-audio)

What is the Op-amps doing in that?
M500 SINAD is higher than DO300 with less op-amps.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Various functions.
I would not worry about the number of op-amps.
It is how they are used (gain, DC servo, other functions, components around it) that determines noise and distortion.

OP
J

JktHifi

Various functions.
I would not worry about the number of op-amps.
It is how they are used (gain, DC servo, other functions, components around it) that determines noise and distortion.
Is it used for input connector? More input, more op-amps. DO300 has AES/EBU while M500 hasn’t.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have no idea. Didn't look. The number of opamps used really doesn't matter. It might have to do with functionality, buffering or whatnot. The total number used is totally irrelevant for SINAD, noise and distortion profile... it only matters how (and in which particular function) they are in a circuit and which components are used around it.

Last edited:
I have no idea. Didn't look. The number of opamps used really doesn't matter. It might have to do with functionality, buffering or whatnot. The total number used is totally irrelevant for SINAD, noise and distortion profile... it only matters how (and in which particular function) they are in a circuit and which components are used around it.
Is the OPA1612 good enough to feed into an external amp? It's in the Fiio K3s but I want to use it as a standalone DAC

solderdude

Grand Contributor
OPA1612 can easily supply 30mA so loads above 150ohm are fine.

Top Bottom