• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DSD vs PCM level difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Maybe @Miska can explain the difference in noise floor @pkane showed here:

I guessed the background of -3dB noise floor difference is explained here:

39BBAC25-A95D-4A07-AB79-07D0DA80B553.jpeg

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe @Miska can explain the difference in noise floor @pkane showed here:

I guessed the background of -3dB noise floor difference is explained here:

View attachment 196852

I don’t get what point you’re trying to make. Analog output showed test signal at the same exact level for DSD and PCM. If noise was 3dB higher for DSD, that means SNR was 3dB lower. Miska’s own measurements showed the same:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ution-music-analysis-video.31620/post-1138796

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor

bennetng

Major Contributor
I guess the results you showed are completely expected based on the above screenshot I showed?

Nothing surprising for the different noise levels?
Being a Miska fan, you need to pay more attention to what Miska actually posted:
D30Pro's noise level in PCM and DSD rates are identical. The noise level differences in different types of tests (high amplitude tone, low amplitude tone, multitone) are caused by the Prism analyzer's configurations.

If a specific DAC chip need to compromise analog output level to maintain DSD signal integrity, then it is already a limitation of that DAC chip, though not necessarily a bad thing in terms of measurement as lowering the output voltage can also reduce distortion, especially when doing high amplitude single tone tests.

In either case, for the RME AKM DAC tests, PCM and DSD Direct have the same analog output level, as pkane explained.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess the results you showed are completely expected based on the above screenshot I showed?

Nothing surprising for the different noise levels?

Does it matter? The original file was generated and saved as 32-bit PCM, and so contained no analog noise. When playing the same exact file in HQPlayer, I got a 3dB lower SNR when converting to DSD compared to PCM (with the same exact output level). This was measured at the analog output of ADI-2 Pro. That's all that comparison shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom