• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Downfiring in ceiling for Atmos ok?

cardsdoc

Planning a dedicated HT in our basement. While I still need to audition them very likely bed layer will be Revel concerta2 series with F36 x 3 for lcr and S16s for surrounds. Ceilings on the low side under 8ft. I know the ideal for atmos is matching timbre/capabilities to the bed layer, plus angling towards MLP. Many mount on ceiling box speakers or on ceiling angled speakers. There are some but not many in ceilings with angled baffles. Many have aimable tweeters but there is debate about how useful this is. My preference however is to use in ceilings and stick with Revel for timbre matching. Something like the c563 x 4. Revel does have the angled baffle c763L but they are very large and expensive. So my main question is while not necessary the ideal will I still get good convincing atmos effects with Revel in ceilings such as the c563. I’m guessing they have decent off axis response being Revel. The tweeter is aimable but only 12 degrees. If the consensus is that it’s a huge difference having something on ceiling (like revel m55xc) and aimed at MLP I’d reconsider but if my plan would still be very good then I’m ok with not having the absolute best. Thanks.

Top Bottom