• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Don't let these guys unpack your speakers....

Bleib

Major Contributor

17903-max_b_w_nautilus_lab_.jpg

JSmith
So, a bit bright

Sokel

Master Contributor
Pfff, 50 kg and they struggle like handling a 250 kg (560lbs) Rockport Lyra :facepalm:
Nothing to see here :(

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They are a bit of an anachronism aren’t they, I remember Graham’s in Islington had a pair in their foyer for ages, as out of context as he Kef ‘Muon’?
Keith

Sokel

Master Contributor
I think the more appropriate question is - what the hell did B&W think designing a speaker like that
If their goal was designing something resembling golden ratio (which I worship) they failed badly.
And badly is a light description,I have language barriers to describe how much.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I think the more appropriate question is - what the hell did B&W think designing a speaker like that

Some idea about driver back wave suppression being the key factor for good sound from a speaker.

I mean, it's not a completely bonkers idea. Kef does the same thing with their so called "meta material". But in case of the Nautilus it seems so single minded, that it presents itself more like a gimmick than anything else.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are thinking: We only have to sell three pairs of these to recover costs, and ten pairs will net a 63% margin. Surely there are ten rich suckers potential clients at $100,000.

Rick "thinking Amir needs to buy one and test it" Denney

D

Deleted member 48726

They are thinking: We only have to sell three pairs of these to recover costs, and ten pairs will net a 63% margin. Surely there are ten rich suckers potential clients at $100,000.

Rick "thinking Amir needs to buy one and test it" Denney
Amir in some time:

Buys only one (1),
tests it,
gives it a "can't recommend"
places it in the storage room.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I thing learned in life is that, a lot of us give too much credit on the intelligence of the general population.

I normally do that. But every time I get behind the wheel of a car my fellow drivers give me a stark reminder :D

Each passing year of my life, I realized more and more how dumb people are.

The stupidity doesn't really surprise me any more. What keeps me eternally perplexed is the primitive nature of the biology driving our decision making.

ta240

Major Contributor
i see no problem, the speaker is fine
The difference is:
A good method for doing something can nearly guarantee good results.
A poor method can sometimes have good results.

Which one do you want with your $100,000 speakers.

ta240

Major Contributor

JSmith
How is the rest of its performance? If everything else is good then can't that bump be EQ'd out pretty easily. Granted it shouldn't be there, but if it would be easily taken care of with room correction then it isn't a big deal.

And since most of the cars on the road have sound blasting out of them in extreme V curves I'm guessing a lot of people have convinced themselves that they like that sound the best and have also damaged their hearing in those ranges.

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
You buy speakers like this to visually impress others and make a statement. This puts you ahead of the game when the disappointment comes later in the evening....
You're saying, I potentially have enough money to make up for my other "shortcomings."

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm more confused about how the cameraman managed to get the side of the lens in the shot

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
You buy speakers like this to visually impress others and make a statement.

I actually disagree in the case of the Nautilus. The peculiar shape has a very specific function. It's not just a scupture.

Whether that function is worth the effort is a completely different matter.

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
I actually disagree in the case of the Nautilus. The peculiar shape has a very specific function. It's not just a scupture.

Whether that function is worth the effort is a completely different matter.
I could agree from a design/engineering standpoint, but at this price point you would still have a very low ROI. That being said, for the purchaser my statement stands as I have seen this way to many times in cars, boats, homes... These are room ornaments for those with enough disposable income to make the price irrelevant and the need to point that out and say "look at me."

rynberg

Forum Donor

JSmith
That's the least of this speaker's problems...the off-axis behavior must be wonderful with all the non-waveguided drivers located at visually appealing but acoustically dumb distances from each other.

Top Bottom