• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dongle vs desktop unit

SiW

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but with all the new products now available can dongles be ‘better’ than desktop combos?

I currently have a 789 amp and running balanced from a Ifi Zen DAC v1 (with external power supply) to HD58X balanced.

I also have a choice of dongles (running balanaced) - Fiio BTR5, KA3 and iBasso DC06. But also looking at other newer dongles like Tanchjim Space or E1DA.

Am I losing anything from not using a desktop DAC with the 789 amp (eg Topping D10 balanced) or desktop combo (eg Topping EX5 or SMSL C100)?

Does the amp section in the desktop combos perform ‘better’ than the 789?

Just wondering if I should sell all I have and go all in on a desktop combo or keeping the 789 and getting a ‘better’ DAC or dongle.

Source is an iPhone 12 with CCK or Fiio lightening to usb c cable. Listen to Amazon HD Unlimited mostly.

Cheers!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Am I losing anything from not using a desktop DAC with the 789 amp (eg Topping D10 balanced) or desktop combo (eg Topping EX5 or SMSL C100)?
You lose inputs, a physical volume knob, a sample rate display. But not sound quality.

OP
S

SiW

Interesting point on the volume knob as I use max volume on the iPhone and use the 789 on gain 3 and it’s volume knob.

Is the general view that a separate amp for headphones is still advantageous compared to the desktop combos I listed above?

More input options I guess

rarewolf

Interesting point on the volume knob as I use max volume on the iPhone and use the 789 on gain 3 and it’s volume knob.

Is the general view that a separate amp for headphones is still advantageous compared to the desktop combos I listed above?

More input options I guess

Your choices may involve some dependence regarding your headphones. That is, if they require more power than (e.g.) your IEM set, then driving your cans+dongle will put a higher drain on your smartphone. If you’re considering a dongle, look for enough power relative to your HP’s impedance. For example, many dongles will spec the power output for 16 or 32 ohms only, and not spec the output for any higher impedance, which for desktop DAC/Amps it is common to see specs for higher impedances…

… and there are intermediate options as well, bigger than a typical dongle, and with their own internal battery, and still relatively portable (e.g., the IFi Gryphon, Topping G5))

pioterd

Depends on headphones, but… if you own realitively effective dynamic headphones (100dB/V or more), or not very demanding planars (sundara, edition XS, M1570 etc..), you will be completely fine with integrated DAC+Amp combos (even with just ZenDac V1/V2 which sometimes is described as underpowered which is bullsh*t). As long as combo can provide through headphone output around 2.2Volts and around 60-70mA current, and you don’t want to destroy your hearing, you will be able to drive 99% of headphones. With Topping dx3pro+ you will drive 100% headphones on the market - it has nearly as much power as ZenDac+ZenCan combo (properly powered, not the way it was tested here on ASR).

ilianto

You could potentially lose some fat from not being stationary? :p

threni

Major Contributor
You could potentially lose some fat from not being stationary? :p
We waited over a year for you to post but it was worth it!

Top Bottom