• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

does anyone enjoy flat sound from audio speakers?

OP
P

patq2

Not necessarily. It depends on the speakers and the room. Here’s my own speakers at 1 meter and 2.9 meters. The response is more or less the same. Because they are line sources, the level does not drop off as much as expected from point sources either.

View attachment 353737

VAR smoothing is used here.
when I hear the sine waves with my ears the sound is very smooth but all frequency charts has jagged and erratic waves so frequency charts are very unrealistic

OP
P

patq2

the sample rate can effect how flat the sound is so to truly have flat sound one needs to use a sample rate higher then 192kHz

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are we in a Poe's law situation here?

Geert

Major Contributor
the sample rate can effect how flat the sound is so to truly have flat sound one needs to use a sample rate higher then 192kHz

This is not flat enough for you (@44.1kHz)?

index.php

You can find more than 400 similar DAC graphs on https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews/

Sokel

Master Contributor
Well... I like to implement my preference.... :)
as long as you do it using the anechoic data and you don't correct based on room measurements,you can.
The only trick is for the speaker to be EQable up there,not all are.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Agree, but I think it's perfectly OK to EQ the room response at lower frequencies.

Why would a speaker not be EQ'able ?
A speaker with uneven,un-smooth directivity and bad off-axis response cannot be EQ'd.

Edit: @Geert ninja'd me.

Sokel

Master Contributor
That includes virtually any speaker .
Nope.
That's what Dr Toole means when he says "well made speaker".

Geert

Major Contributor
That includes virtually any speaker .

How so??? It doesn't need to be perfectly linear.

I get the point, but the EQ will still work.

But not as efficient because what are you going to EQ, the on axis response or the of axis response? Like I said, this is a well know problem (see link Sokel just posted).

StigErik

Forum Donor
Nope.
That's what Dr Toole means when he says "well made speaker".

That will not be a long list. But of course, controlled directivity is better than the opposite, unless your listening room is an anechoic chamber.

StigErik

Forum Donor
How so??? It doesn't need to be perfectly linear.
But not as efficient because what are you going to EQ, the on axis response or the of axis response? Like I said, this is a well know problem (see link Sokel just posted).

A typical speaker will struggle to get a good vertical off-axis response.

By typical, I mean like this. Excellent speakers by the way, but flawed vertical directivity.

index.php

index.php

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
when I hear the sine waves with my ears the sound is very smooth but all frequency charts has jagged and erratic waves so frequency charts are very unrealistic
Sine waves, shmine waves. It is much better if they are sawtooth. Also, it ain't good unless there is at least a 40 dB peak at 90 hz, and a 30 dB peak at 1500 Hz. Now, with that, put in a 20 dB dip from 400 Hz - 1kHz, and you have yourself one heck of system. I use a tea kettle for my tweeter - it sounds best with Perrier. You get the best sound if you have at least a knuckles height of peanut shells over the whole floor, but take your shoes off if you are going to walk on them cause the rubber ruins their response. And, for Pete's sake, don't forget to cryo-freeze your power cords, and then burn them in for 6 months with "Baby Shark Do Do Do" on a continuous loop. Otherwise, it is all for nothing and the system will sound horrible no matter what you do.

Geert

Major Contributor
A typical speaker will struggle to get a good vertical off-axis response.

Then that typical speakers is already halfway to poor EQ-able. (Although not completely since research suggests floor reflections have less impact, Dr. Toole again confirmed by others). So on one end of the spectrum you have a point source (single driver, coax) as a good candidate for EQ-ing, and on the other end of the spectrum you have speakers with terrible horizontal and vertical linearity of directivity.

Last edited:

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To be blunt - in this context human hearing simply has less resolution than well-made anechoic measurements. That absolutely does not mean that there is no value in high-resolution measurements; however it does mean that some competence is required to interpret them.

If you want to see a graph that comes closer to what you might perceive, you can import an FR into REW and use the 'psychoacoustic' smoothing option there. That produces graphs that can be correlated much more easily to the way humans perceive frequency response deviations.

I've yet to test a loudspeaker or headphone where frequency response measurements weren't VERY informative about how well the thing is able to reproduce sounds....

Top Bottom