• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you mostly use CD/DVD or streaming for music?

Do you mostly use CD/DVD or streaming or other for music?

• Total voters

JPA

Forum Donor
I still prefer the one-time payment model of CDs over the subscription model of streaming. Companies love the subscription model because over a lifetime of streaming you're going to pay many, many times the cost of CDs. And a lot of customers neglect to cancel subscriptions when they lose interest in a service (any service, not just music). That's basically free money for the service providers.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mostly I stream my own content ripped from cd over my network to a variety of devices, also use Spotify and Pandora on occasion for both checking out new music and some background type use.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Companies love the subscription model because over a lifetime of streaming you're going to pay many, many times the cost of CDs.

I’d have to experience a helluva long life streaming to exceed what I’ve spent on cds in the last 30 years, got 2000 of my favs in boxes and must’ve purchased upwards of 3000 all in before consolidating my favs and selling the unwanted.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Streaming all the way, not listened to a cd or my own ripped files since buying CXNv2 streamer. Not listened to a cd in the car either as that’s all streamed as well. Still got my 2000+ cds packed in boxes,
Almost same ... I lost interest to the CDs once they were ripped, I have about 2500 perhaps more CDs on a few HDDs and somewhere in the cloud. I have not played any of those for at least 5 years... I have circa 2000 LPs... It looks like I will never play any of those either.. Streaming, all the way! I've never enjoyed so much music ...

Peace

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The last choice should be "None of the above" or "Other."

warnerwh

I listen to music on thrumb drives ripped from cd's. Unless I listen to music on the hard drive on my laptop that is. Haven't touched a cd in a long time.

threni

Major Contributor
What does "none" mean? That you don't listen to music? I listen to flac, opus and MP3 files - what should I tick?

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
My listening is probably:
  • 40 % Spotify
  • 35 % Qobuz
  • 20 % ripped CD's / downloads stored as FLAC/MP3 on NAS
  • 3 % various internet radio stations
  • 1 % YouTube videos of concert footage / old tv clips of artists I'm interested in
  • 0.99 % actual physical CD's
  • 0.01 % actual physical vinyl LPs
Obviously sound-quality wise, streaming and CD rips sound identical through the same gear. I sometimes imagine Qobuz hires sounds better than Spotify but on closer comparison it rarely does. Usually due to different masters.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
What does "none" mean? That you don't listen to music? I listen to flac, opus and MP3 files - what should I tick?
Reel to reel analog tape, cassette, grammophone, Edison cylinder phonograph.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I listen to files, some downloaded and some ripped from physical media.

Top Bottom