• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you mostly use CD/DVD or streaming for music?

Do you mostly use CD/DVD or streaming or other for music?

• Total voters

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Both. And vinyl. And cassette. The more options the merrier.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What advantages are using CD or DVD over internet?
Probably not sound quality for the most part. But perhaps:

1. Maybe a better way of focusing- more likely to listen to a whole album rather than shuffling everything.
2. Not reliant on internet connectivity
3. Its "yours" - whereas if an artist is removed from your streaming service- you are stuck (see Neil Young vs Spotify)
4. More control over what version you listen to- to a certain extent you can buy/ listen to your chosen master/ version whereas you are pretty stuck with streaming to the one/ few they have.

Of course there are many advantages to streaming too

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Streaming all the way, not listened to a cd or my own ripped files since buying CXNv2 streamer. Not listened to a cd in the car either as that’s all streamed as well. Still got my 2000+ cds packed in boxes,

Anton S

My preference for focused listening is CD. Music from discs typically provides close to 10 dB(Z) more dynamic range than streaming, as measured in my room.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about a don't know answer. I use roon (and a bit of vinyl) so the destinction between my digital files, and tidals is largely lost on me.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For me the biggest advantage to physical media is liner notes. I still listen to CDs, I still buy them, but it’s hard to beat the convenience of streaming.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
There's no category for reel to reel tape, or cassette for that matter! I listen to pre-recorded open reel tapes quite often.

D

Deleted member 19122

About 70 percent of my music listening is multichannel surround media.Everything from DVD-A to SACD ,Bluray to conversions of old formats such as cd4,QS,SQ and QR2R.All are ripped to mch flac and played via Popcorn Hour A-500 from my phone.Streaming is for non critical listening while cooking or some such .There's so many great surround lps/reels from the 70's that never got a proper digital release.

3125b

Major Contributor
Streaming. It's extremely convenient, affordable and (with most services) lossless.
I use Apple Music. They were late to the party and not everything (especially on PC with the terrible iTunes as a basis) works perfectly, but at least they actively work to improve it, unlike Spotify for example.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What advantages are using CD or DVD over internet?
They'll never disappear. You ever lose your internet connection?
My listening is 95% ripped CD, DVD, BD to the harddrive for the super convenence of it, along with sound quality equal to the source. I use Apple streaming to preview new music and all the super multich - Atmos now available.

mrbungle

How about a don't know answer. I use roon (and a bit of vinyl) so the destinction between my digital files, and tidals is largely lost on me.
Same here, Roon+Qobuz (no vinyl though). I don’t really care about the renting vs owning part, but still buy a lot of music in FLAC format from Bandcamp and Qobuz sublime. I see it mostly as a tipping the artists kind of thing.

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

Wonder why this poll ruled out having your own collection of ripped CD's and downloads on a HD.
LOL. I don’t know what ripped cd means. I never seen a CD before. Are those still be sold?

Yuhasz01

Listen to cd and some purchased digital files, no streaming. I prefer artist to be compensated and uninterrupted listening. Streaming is dreaming if you think the sound quality is high fidelity.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Artists get paid if you buy or download their CD and the streaming lacks many titles of of up and coming musical talent and older rare stuff only found on CD. I like Bandcamp and buying what like and auditioning on Qobuz and internet radio to discover new music.

Daverz

Major Contributor
It's a mix of CD rips to FLAC, FLAC downloads, Qobuz, and internet radio. I ripped my whole CD collection to disk. Any new CDs get immediately ripped; I haven't used a CD player in years. All this is served up with Logitech Media Server, and I use a Raspberry Pi 4 to feed my DAC.

Soandso

Often daytime when going out the door quickly I'll grab an old iphone with jazz or blues mp3 files for some headphone listening; if going for anything extended like exercise walks then am usually streaming. Daytime at home listening to speakers it's a toss up of streaming and mp3 files; mostly depending on which format I was using when came in from outdoors. About every other night I'll listen nostalgically to (just) one old rock or jazz vinyl record album on my living room floor speakers. By late night am reading in bedroom chair with planar headphones streaming jazz in the groove without singers. Upstairs neighbor frequently watches his TV in the wee hours waking me up (acoustics of wood construction built over 100 years ago) so I put in foam earplugs, tune into internet radio station "Drone Zone" over bedroom bookcase speakers (minus subwoofer), turn it up loud for masking neighbor's bass and soon am back to sleep [if neighbor is blasting me so much I add headphones over plugged ears for close masking neighbor's bass]?

Top Bottom