• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

• Mainly stream tracks

Votes: 124 44.4%
  • Mainly own tracks

Votes: 155 55.6%

• Total voters

swampfire

I’d break it down like this:

35% - SOMA.FM
35% - Apple Music
20% - physical CDs
10% - vinyl

I still buy 2-10 CDs a year, but a lot of those are used.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I confess, while I own quite a few albums in a 44/16 format [ripped CDs integrated into Roon ecosystem], I do prefer streaming them [from Qobuz] when available in hi-res (192 or 96kHz, or even 44/24). Despite all our discussions regarding inaudibility of hi-res…

I also like comparing [through listening] various remasters/remixes that appeared in the past few years.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor

Kevbaz

I pretty much 100% play CD for the below reasons.
1. I like the tactile nature of putting in a CD and reading the material whilst it plays.
2. I want to own the material not rely on SaaS and subscription
3. CD quality is more than good enough for me
4. In a world where everything is fast paced, it’s nice to have the excitement of waiting for a CD to come in the post. Not just click and demand it now over streaming.
5. CDs are cheap and even more so second hand at car boot sales.
6. Fun to track down old good masters of an album.
7. Still great to receive a CD as a gift.
Kev

Robin L

Master Contributor
Both may be common to you but it seems you have missed what is happening in the market. The vast majority of music is streamed (80%) and bulk of the sales are made at streaming across the world. I simply wanted to find out if active ASR members follow this trend or not. It is looking like they do not but time will tell.
As there's a 50/50 split 'round here, the data here probably needs further refinements than just either/or.

It might be 80% in the rest of the world, but in ASRLand it's gonna break down into folks who mostly stream but also spin vinyl, folks with big CD collections, now all ripped, and in this process experiencing the wall between owned and streamed beginning to blur. And some are all concerned that streaming platforms sound different and need to know which one's best.

There's a lot of people in this forum that invested in physical formats a long time, many as professionals in recording and audio design. So, they will probably skew the question in favor of physical media/ownership. "Own" is a trick phrase in recorded music, as just about any band that never quite made it can tell you.

Obviously the either/or framing doesn't really address what's going on in this sector of the universe.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I mostly own physical media and/or locally stored digital copy.

I listen to a lot of radio shows, bootlegs, obscure small stuff etc that if you can find it on the internet, it's ephemeral and could be gone tomorrow. And I don't want to be beholden to the whim and fancy of whatever digital licensing nonsense means I can or can't listen to album X on streaming service Y. I'll listen to Tidal on occasion / internet radio but if I find a track I like enough to hunt down, I'll buy a copy - preferably physical, not just downloaded files. I also feel that's the most confident way that some portion of my money is actually getting back to the artist.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I checked "Mainly own tracks" because there is not any significant multichannel classical music available for streaming, so I rip the source discs or download the files to my NAS boxes for storage and playback.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When sitting down in front of my 2 channel system to listen to music, I'd guess I listen to something like 60% LPs, 35% streaming my ripped CDs, and 5% streaming (Tidal). Though the streaming has gone to zero since Tidal refused to play nice at this point with my server.

Otherwise for casual listening around the house, it's streaming, either asking our smart speaker to stream music, or streaming via internet music apps. Internet music stations are still probably my favourite way to listen to music casually.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d break it down like this:

35% - SOMA.FM
35% - Apple Music
20% - physical CDs
10% - vinyl

I still buy 2-10 CDs a year, but a lot of those are used.
That means you mainly stream. Soma.FM doesn't count as you don't have the control of what to listen. It is a radio station.

Yuhasz01

I like to know if your main music source is via streaming from one of the services like Spotify, Apple Music, etc. or if you mainly play tracks that you own, whether through CD or using ripped or purchased files? I am asking your main source, the majority, expecting many may have a combination.
I buy mainly cd disks and pay/download digital files to hard drive.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Like concorde1 I have ripped my own CDs. I will not sell my CDs. My attitude to technology is the same as attitude you should have when you live on the San Andreas fault; it's not if an earthquake strikes, it's when an earthquake strikes. Similarly I keep my CDs not for "if I lose my flac files" but "when I lose my flac files".

I have purchased some albums in flac format. Fingers crossed.

I rely on [internet] radio for listening to new music. If I like I'll purchase it.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Like concorde1 I have ripped my own CDs. I will not sell my CDs. My attitude to technology is the same as attitude you should have when you live on the San Andreas fault; it's not if an earthquake strikes, it's when an earthquake strikes. Similarly I keep my CDs not for "if I lose my flac files" but "when I lose my flac files".
Same here but, frankly, if I lose my flac (and other) files, I will not repeat the monumental ripping task again. That's why I have multiple file backups despite retaining the discs.

Mojo Warrior

I use Qobuz to stream music.

There are few stores to purchase CDs or vinyl. Especially difficult to source are new releases by new artists. I enjoy listening to new music which is being released every week. I find streaming the most cost effective way to listen to new music. It is also the most efficient way to listen to older music that I physically possess.

I also have a large collection of legacy vinyl and CDs.

gags

I’d have chose “both” of it were an option as I have both a split personality and an addiction problem.

I have most of my life enjoyed developing a relationship with music over a long period of time. I use iTunes / Audivarna and can get my collection playing just about everywhere I want it, including the car.

I buy new music every month, WAVs from Qobuz & Bandcamp, have ripped almost all of my CDs and am about to start on my vinyl.

On the other hand I also have a digging problem and no one can make me stop.

I dig digitally using Spotify and Bandcamp, not in car boot sales, although I have a few vinyl releases on my Discogs “want list” as they were never released on a digital format.

I’ve noticed that the urge to listen to new music all the time created by using Spotify is ultimately unsatisfying but Spotify and Bandcamp are fantastic digging tools and I’m hopeless at trying to stop. I use these to create buy lists used to program shows on an Internet Radio station I started during the first lock down.

Being part of an online radio community means listening to shows, streaming live or from the archive, produced by fellow DJs. I’ve been listening to so much new (to me) music in the last 18 months it’s mind blowing falling back in love with genrés I’d “moved on” from. Hello Hard Rock you beauty from my past, you’ve been to the gym it seems.

At the same time all of my shows are now iTunes playlists and make for the modern equivalent of a 90min mix tape with the added benefit of not stretching with repeated plays.

I also play once a month in a market and am trying to give the place a musical identity using a few genrés that play well together and my approach is a combination of repeat playing, developing familiarity, while slowly introducing some new stuff each month.

Who knows if it will work or not but I’ve been playing music for people for long enough not to be tempted by DJing using streaming services, which seems to be becoming a thing.

Lastly I’m the opposite of the single track discarders earlier in this thread. If a track works in a playlist / set, it’s in. I’m fact I’m starting to use even parts of tracks sometimes.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here but, frankly, if I lose my flac (and other) files, I will not repeat the monumental ripping task again. That's why I have multiple file backups despite retaining the discs.

I'd give up listening to music all together if it meant having to re-rip my CDs.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd give up listening to music all together if it meant having to re-rip my CDs.
I dunno about that statement. They say the first step for an alcoholic is to admit he has a problem w/drinking.
With 2200+ posts, maybe you should re-evaluate that FIRST step.
Bet life would be miserable (less fun?) w/o music.

Top Bottom