• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you like AMT tweeters?

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
The Neo is very good, but it isn't an AMT. It is a planar magnetic. I've had both the Neo and now an AMT (AST2560, same as the Bordeaux) in my DIY speakers and slightly prefer the AMT both objectively and subjectively.

Not sure if they are better than regular tweeter, but I run them dipole.
Fair enough. My next DIY build will have some Mundorf AMT's so I'm excited to experiment with them. The Neo's are just finicky and the frequency response is not very flat so it's challenging with the crossover.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 51065

I think cymbals can sound a little more realistic through AMT's

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think cymbals can sound a little more realistic through AMT's
Is that just bare drive unit or on finished speakers? Because most speakers I've seen with AMTs have the tweeter turned up either a little or a lot, in an attempt to make it stand out. Some extra pizazz on the top end can certainly a make cymbals shine on any tweeter.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AMTs and ribbon tweeters are aesthetically pleasing to me but beyond that, I have no preference. So long as the driver's directivity and distortion characteristics are well suited to the desired construction and crossover point, it will perform well. There exists no special "sound" unique to AMTs and ribbons.

D

Deleted member 51065

Is that just bare drive unit or on finished speakers? Because most speakers I've seen with AMTs have the tweeter turned up either a little or a lot, in an attempt to make it stand out. Some extra pizazz on the top end can certainly a make cymbals shine on any tweeter.
I was comparing to how cymbals actually sound; just my personal opinion, mind you I have spent many hours playing them ;)

puppet

I was comparing to how cymbals actually sound; just my personal opinion, mind you I have spent many hours playing them ;)
I think this comes down to the AMTs' transient response and the lack of the typical coil driven cone break up and distortion levels. The AMT power handling is pretty good.

funnychap

AMT = ASR Measured Tweeter ?
Ideally I would get floorstanding speakers by GoldenEar Triton Reference or T66 or One.R, with the awesome AMT ribbon tweeters.

I have a mixed setup (home theater 7.2.4) with an Arcam AVR5 receiver and a 150in 6x9 projector pulldown screen that's 11' wide x 6' high. Even movies sound better with the GoldenEar BRX speakers with their AMT ribbon tweeter.

I upgraded my front L and R speakers to the GoldenEar BRX (with AMT ribbon tweeter) (I was searching for short 12in tall bookspeakers). Wow, clear, live, airy, gives me goosebumps, and adding the subwoofers did not cover up the treble/vocalists, the biggest soundstage.
I now hear so many vocalists taking in breaths before they sing (before I could only hear a few), I can hear things that are really low in volume and more instruments (especially cymbals), different performers moving around on the stage when listening to broadway musical soundtracks.
The best bass at 40Hz. The speakers disappeared so I felt the singers in the room.
Elvis Presley's vibrato has never sounded so live until now.

I liked my new pair of GoldenEar BRX speakers for music so I was curious if it would improve my old center channel speaker (like how the new BRX improved the L/R speakers for movies).

So today I hooked up the BRX to the center channel...and wow. There were high notes missing with my old speaker!
So I bought a 3rd GoldenEar BRX to replace my center channel speaker.
----
What's amazing is that previously I bought better RCA cables/interconnects by Worlds Best Cables (mogami wire and Neutrik plugs) from Amazon but I did not hear an improvement with my old speakers.

But now I do hear an improvement with the GoldenEars BRX in the high notes, female vocalists, cymbals, bigger soundstage, and more airy.

source=Apple Music (hires lossless, and spatial audio surround music) and Denafrips Ares II 12th dac (R2R technology for 3D live/realistic sound).

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That was one of the main parts of the emotiva b1 mod , Dennis flattened out the rising treble response... It makes a difference..

BigRez

Probably a roughly Gaussian distribution, with a mean of meh.
Not unlike our (late) puddy cat, Zappa.
Zappa was grey on the average.

I guess the SD would be interesting to calculate. ;)
(for AMT preference, that is, not Zappa)
As a photographer who grew up carying an 18% gray card around and studying Ansel Adams ZOne System, I appreciate this humor very much.

jim1274

Forum Donor
Not really all that much talk about AMT tweeters here, especially the dipolar “Great Heil” AMT. I’ve been playing my ESS AMT 1b extensively, primarily in some soundstage testing vs Omnis and unipoles, the AMTs being only dipole in the house for this purpose. I never really was all that impressed previously used alone in 2 channel stereo, using them for a number of years as surrounds until going to an ATMOS object based 7.1.4 setup, DOLBY recommending uniopoles in this configuration. Once I figured out proper placement of the AMT 1b, liked them a lot more. The dipole radiation needed more spacing from the front wall to sound right. Have not systematically assessed them on sonic characteristics beyond soundstage aspects, but played a lot lately and really like the detail resolution that exceeds any speaker tested so far.

Just thought I’d throw my 2 cents in. You could put me in the “like” camp.

I’m Talking about these—this is the latest incarnation but looks to be basically the same as mine:

Top Bottom