• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do these need high pass filtering?

alaios

They say that high pass filters are more beneficials for those cones that do middle range and lower bass.
These are the speakers that I have in mind where manufacturer said that the speakers can not go below 55Hz. Measurements show a strong roll-off below 100Hz. Are there any measurements that can help measure any "gains" from high pass filtering such speakers?

Regards,
Alex

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It's not usually a problem. The biggest problem is simply the lack of bass. ;) Many-many speakers have limited bass.

But the speaker cone will move down to DC (zero Hz) and if you are listening loud-enough. There is more energy in the low frequency range (worse if you turn-up the bass to compensate for a small speaker) and the low-frequency energy can push the speaker into distortion even if it can't audibly reproduce those low frequencies. It's even possible to burn-up a speaker with frequencies it can't reproduce.

It's similar with an amplifier. You can push an amplifier into distortion at frequencies the speaker can't reproduce. (But that won't generally damage the amp.)

If you have a subwoofer, it's best to use a crossover or "bass management" in an AVR for the above reasons, and to get a smooth-unnoticeable transition between the main speakers and the sub.

OP
A

alaios

So what you are saying is let the main naturally roll-off or are you saying that I can high pass filter them?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So what you are saying is let the main naturally roll-off or are you saying that I can high pass filter them?
You can high pass but it will leave your music lacking low end if you don't put a sub in there.

You can roll off naturally and possibly stress the drivers if you play loud and low and almost cetainly get distortion.

No free lunch.

OP
A

alaios

I do have subs still there are two schools out there when adding a sub
1. High pass mains
2. Do not high pass mains and let them peacefully roll off

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do have subs still there are two schools out there when adding a sub
1. High pass mains
2. Do not high pass mains and let them peacefully roll off
if you have a sub and don't high pass the mains, then it is necessary to set the low pass filter on the sub around the same frequency that the mains naturally roll off - otherwise you have the same bass frequencies generated by the sub and the mains.

This then means you are not taking the benefit of the sub in reducing loading on the mains up to around 80 or 100Hz. You also wont get a good match between the rolloff of the mains and the "roll on" of the sub.

If you use a sub, and have the capability in the kit, you should always high pass the mains. In other words, implement a controlled crossover.

OP
A

alaios

if you have a sub and don't high pass the mains, then it is necessary to set the low pass filter on the sub around the same frequency that the mains naturally roll off - otherwise you have the same bass frequencies generated by the sub and the mains.

This then means you are not taking the benefit of the sub in reducing loading on the mains up to around 80 or 100Hz. You also wont get a good match between the rolloff of the mains and the "roll on" of the sub.

If you use a sub, and have the capability in the kit, you should always high pass the mains. In other words, implement a controlled crossover.
Thanks. Yes we assume the low pass in the subs is being used. Still the question remains if high pass is really needed. I see that you have a clear view on why one should high pass main speakers.
There are people that say that it may cause more issues overall

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Yes we assume the low pass in the subs is being used. Still the question remains if high pass is really needed. I see that you have a clear view on why one should high pass main speakers.
There are people that say that it may cause more issues overall
What is their basis for saying that? It is like saying we shouldn't implement crossovers in multidriver speakers. We should just let the drivers roll off naturally from one to the other.

We will always get a better frequency response by implementing a controlled crossover from mains to subs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont think you have stated which speakers you are considering- this post and the thread before it seems like very sage advice. TLDR- need to do what sounds and measures best in room. But I doubt you are looking at Salon 2's that form the bulk of the discussion on the first page of the linked thread.

OP
A

alaios

Thanks. My main are the oberon on wall speakers that do now go below 55Hz and they roll of after 100Hz. I understand to do what is best but this might require some waste of money.
Option #1 is to use my integrated amp with the subs and just let the main speakers roll-off naturally. The other option to high pass mains requires either a much more expensive amplifier and/or adding some mini dsp in the chain.

Top Bottom