• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extending bass response with the help of dsp

pogo

Major Contributor
Here is a good database from Devialet: Link

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
So applying maximum (-12db) negative low shelf (as high pass is not available on wiim pro) with high Q a bit below port tuning frequency is in any case good idea?
The writer of the article says ” at port tuning frequency ” . The value of the Q will give you more or less bass .

With the WiiM pro , you can try using the shelving filter exactly at the tuningfrequency ( fB ) of your speakers, as an example 40 Hz , set gain to -12 and Q= 2 .

The WiiM pro display doesnt show you the ” overshoot ” that happens when using high Q values higher than 1 with shelving. This is a bit confusing.
But you can hear the effect . Using Q=4 gives you much more bass, but might be to much.

IMG_0870.jpeg

Last edited:

TheZebraKilledDarwin

One cant fool the acoustic laws in loudspeakers, there are no free lunches even when using dsp to extend the bass response in a bass reflex loudspeaker .
This is what we have learned.

But this is an interesting article :

I had to test this .

In a bass tube speaker, the drivers cone stand almost still at the fb frequency - the tube makes all the sound . In my chn110 this tuning frequency is 36 Hz . At the same time, the backpressure of the tube is protecting the driver cone from doing extensive movements around that fb frequency.

Using test tones - I can see that the cone of the driver stand still at 36 Hz and the tube makes all the sound .

By using a high pass shelving filter , combined with PEQ I can extend the bass response from my Markaudio chn110 speakers by boosting slightly lower than fb , then using a high pass shelving filter -12 dB at 20 Hz . And this is without any loss of spl or xmax .

The high pass shelving filter at 20 Hz is protecting the cone below 30 Hz where it dont have any backpressure protection anymore from the tube.

In practice, this can be done with all loudspeakers.

This is easily done with a WiiM pro .

View attachment 355155

Comments on this ?

You discovered that on your own? Respect.
Resonant highpassing is common practice in mixing to achieve a big and defined bottom end.
Audyssey's LFC also works with that principle (at varying cutoff frequencies IIRC).

Top Bottom