• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do audio components degrade from age or is it the heat from use...

My question relates to NOS or little used but old audio gear. Is it apt to be just fine (assuming decent storage conditions) or is degradation from age alone inevitable? I am asking about the electrical parts, not things like rubber drive belts.

DonR

Major Contributor
My question relates to NOS or little used but old audio gear. Is it apt to be just fine (assuming decent storage conditions) or is degradation from age alone inevitable? I am asking about the electrical parts, not things like rubber drive belts.
Depends on the component. In my experience, it's mostly heat but sometimes age will affect things like glues that can absorb moisture and become conductive over time.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The electronic components which would be most subject to degredation is electrolytic capacitors, and heat will accelerate degredation. All other electronic components are likely to be just fine.

Top Bottom