• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do ALL CD players make audible mechanical noise...???

beagleman

Major Contributor
I have 3 players.....actually all are Blu Ray players of various quality, but all 3 I can hear the transport moving position when I play classical music quietly.

Do ALL do this? Obviously never heard it with louder rock music and so on, but WOW annoying to hear that ticking sound every so often.

usersky

Forum Donor
Things are moving inside so yes, all of them make some noise, more or less, depending on the model and condition. For me however this was never an issue, I actually like that sound, the way I liked the sound of mechanical hard disc drives, a sign that that device actively works for me :)

itz_all_about_the_music

I have 3 players.....actually all are Blu Ray players of various quality, but all 3 I can hear the transport moving position when I play classical music quietly.

Do ALL do this? Obviously never heard it with louder rock music and so on, but WOW annoying to hear that ticking sound every so often.
From what distance? Inches? Feet? I've never been closer than three feet and have no recall of noise. Magnavox CDB650, Denon DVD-2910, Denon DBT-3313UDCI.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Alot of it is determined by build quality. Some cheap casings can be very noisy, while a case which is very solid in it's structure, will usually be less noisy.
The ticking sound you refer to, is a bit puzzling, not sure I've ever heard that issue before. A more common noise would be a whirling, spinning sound. Any noises from a cd player should not be heard from the listening position, well that is if it has a decent build quality.

usersky

Forum Donor
From what distance? Inches? Feet? I've never been closer than three feet and have no recall of noise. Magnavox CDB650, Denon DVD-2910, Denon DBT-3313UDCI.
You can usually hear them when manually operating the unit from your arm's length distance, before music starts. It may be some chirping for some type of mechanisms, when the disc is accelerated or decelerated or you can hear the laser slide moving on others. It's not loud usually but pay atention and you can hear it even in the most well built, heavy, best quality drives. Remember, we here obsess sometimes about -100dB so some people may be distracted by such low noises I guess.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Mine does only when loading. When the disc is playing, I hear nothing unless my ear is centimeters away from the device.

I guess it depends on device.

OP
B

beagleman

Major Contributor
My Philips CD850 MkII is completely silent.
I THOUGHT my players were also, until I played quiet classical music.

During the play of the disc, I can hear the transport move the laser every so often, like a small tick of it moving. I can hear it from maybe 10 feet away, but not LOUD, but just annoying...

OP
B

beagleman

Major Contributor
Mine does only when loading. When the disc is playing, I hear nothing unless my ear is centimeters away from the device.

I guess it depends on device.

it is not a constant sound, but every couple minutes, it sounds like a gear /cog advances the laser mechanism to a new position....

TrevC

I THOUGHT my players were also, until I played quiet classical music.

During the play of the disc, I can hear the transport move the laser every so often, like a small tick of it moving. I can hear it from maybe 10 feet away, but not LOUD, but just annoying...
Philips use a unique and silent swinging arm laser mount whereas other players tend to use a sliding carriage driven by a motor and worm gear which makes a slight noise. I have a Pioneer CD recorder that makes the noise you mention especially when the CD ends and the laser carriage moves to the other end.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The mechanical sled drives and disc servos makes mechanical noises. The linear sled drives are comprised of a inductor and magnet so there is not much there to make noise. The electronics IC's make noises too. They chirp, hiss, squeal and make tick tick sounds while they are operating. Some manufacturers dampen the case with additional metal plates, rigid plastics and damping materials. The loading mechanism is usually not very silent but I've seen a couple that where pretty quiet. CD player noise is not abnormal and most of them do make noises.

Top Bottom