• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY triggered ac outlet

rgpit

Forum Donor
I'm using an Aiyima A07 MAX to power a couple of passive subs I've built and would like to turn the Aiyima on/off with the 12v trigger output from my Benchmark DAC2 HGC and AHB2. My plan is to use this solid state relay in an appropriate case. I'd appreciate any tips, recommendations before I break anything. :rolleyes:
71+CJ1Uu9HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks!

raindance

Major Contributor
Solid state relays do exhibit leakage when turned off. Usually you can find that on the spec sheet. In some cases I've had to use a load resistor to collapse the leakage and produce a "true" off state. Also check the load requirements. Just FYI, otherwise your idea should work - before you do this, have you tried plugging in and unplugging the amp to the mains to verify that this doesn't cause a loud pop? Sometimes this bypasses the amps built in soft start circuit.

OP
rgpit

rgpit

Forum Donor
Solid state relays do exhibit leakage when turned off. Usually you can find that on the spec sheet. In some cases I've had to use a load resistor to collapse the leakage and produce a "true" off state. Also check the load requirements. Just FYI, otherwise your idea should work - before you do this, have you tried plugging in and unplugging the amp to the mains to verify that this doesn't cause a loud pop? Sometimes this bypasses the amps built in soft start circuit.
Off leakage current is <2mA. Hopefully I won't need a load resistor. If I do, what resistance/wattage would you recommend? I'm guessing it would be wired in parallel to the load.

MCH

Major Contributor
I'm using an Aiyima A07 MAX to power a couple of passive subs I've built and would like to turn the Aiyima on/off with the 12v trigger output from my Benchmark DAC2 HGC and AHB2. My plan is to use this solid state relay in an appropriate case. I'd appreciate any tips, recommendations before I break anything. :rolleyes:
71+CJ1Uu9HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks!
@rgpit I am using a07 max for exactly the same purpose and I am using this master/slave strip. The mains amp is the master and when it turns on (has signal sense) the aiyimas turn on immediately with no noises whatsoever. Just a faint relay noise in the aiyimas that you won't hear if you hide them somewhere. Very satisfied so far. If you are using the trigger input in your mains amp, this solution will work for you.
The threshold on/off power is adjustable and there is a led on the strip that indicates when the slaves are active, in case you need it.

IOIO MS 2500, 5-way master slave power strip, 1x master socket, 4x slave sockets, 41250 https://amzn.eu/d/f6bd128

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
Off leakage current is <2mA. Hopefully I won't need a load resistor. If I do, what resistance/wattage would you recommend? I'm guessing it would be wired in parallel to the load.
Around 4K7, 5 watts or more in parallel with the load for 110-120 volts.

Top Bottom