• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

DIY Purifi Amp builds

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thread Starter #1,741
You could read some of the earlier posts from others who have done more of their own methods for that.

Last edited:
OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Thread Starter #1,743
Hi,
How the SMPS control the /AMPON (I mean what exactly it is doing) ?
Thanks in advance ?
/AMPON means NOT amp on. Leaving that input open means the amp is not active - it is in standby. When the SMPS1200 is on and it's outputs are good, it pulls that line low (near ground) which tells the amp it should be active (not in standby). When you turn the SMPS off, it immediately releases that line, telling the amp to go to standby while power drops. This should manage the amp safely, telling it when to be active or not, as power comes on and goes off.

Last edited:

Matias

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty cool build. :D
Although I feel the notion of class D needing extra cooling to be exaggerated. Specially Purifis they run cooler than nCore, which already is quite cool.

LarsS

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty cool build. :D
Although I feel the notion of class D needing extra cooling to be exaggerated. Specially Purifis they run cooler than nCore, which already is quite cool.
If you had attended one of my kids parties you’d think otherwise. Using all security measures in fun corona distraction.

From Purifi’s doc: ”Continuous output power depends on properties of the thermal system. ”

Edit: Built a pair of nCores 2013, now long gone

boXem | audio

Manufacturer
Forum Donor
If you had attended one of my kids parties you’d think otherwise. Using all security measures in fun corona distraction.

From Purifi’s doc: ”Continuous output power depends on properties of the thermal system. ”

Edit: Built a pair of nCores 2013, now long gone
Since you are all out on cooling, may I suggest sanding all surfaces where thermal transfer will occur? Paint/anodisation are pretty bad at transmitting heat.

Not in a box yet because I was anxious to just get her up and running, so be kind, yes it's crude and sloppy but it is my first ever DIY amp build. I have the aluminum plates and screws to complete the box, just received the drill bits for cutting the input and vent holes, and so I will complete everything over the next day or two (including tidying up and twisting/shielding all of the cables, replacing the quick connects with ones that are fully insulated, changing out the bare end of the ground wire to an insulated ring, and using color-coded cables instead of the all-green). I most certainly welcome criticism and input from those more experienced who spot anything egregiously out of place.
View attachment 45858 View attachment 45859
Hi.....where do you get the correct pins to insert into the plastic connector for the 220/120 J3 jumper? Thanks.

If you will be using it in a country with 115VAC mains voltage, watch out for getting/making a jumper for the J3 of the SMPS1200 - it is not included from Hypex.
IMG_1295.jpg

Hi Jim.......do you happen to know where I can get the correct pins to insert into the plastic connector to properly jump the J3? Thanks man!

NTK

Forum Donor
OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Thread Starter #1,760
Top Bottom