• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY 2ch NC400, is it really as easy as it looks?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also I am looking at going Hypex NC400, stereo in 1 chassis, single ended only. Do they make a kit for this and would it measure as well as the XLR monoblocks they have currently?

Why not go balanced and use adapter cable (as recommended by Bruno)? That way you can accommodate balanced sources in the future.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which adapter cable?

RCA (unbalanced) to XLR (balanced).

Screenshot from 2019-12-04 17-35-46.png

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You forgot to connect analog gnd - shield at RCA side. If RCA unit is class II, issues with CMV and hum/ buzz to be expected for sure.

You are right. My picture was borrowed from the famous Rane application note, but better to connect shield all the way through too.

Reactions: pma

pma

Major Contributor
Yes. Just for the reason that the return/reference path should be defined.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Just for the reason that the return/reference path should be defined.

It is. Even without shield/chassis connection. The "return" in a balanced connection is the non-inverting input. Shield/chassis/ground connection only conducts any potential difference between the chassis/grounds.

pma

Major Contributor
It is. Even without shield/chassis connection. The "return" in a balanced connection is the non-inverting input. Shield/chassis/ground connection only conducts any potential difference between the chassis/grounds.

We speak about unbalanced to balanced connection and your statement above is then true only in a trivial case that both instruments are in class I and thus there is a common gnd. If you connect class II to class I, potential difference as half of mains voltage may be expected, though at high impedance. And impedance imbalance as well. The Rane suggestion is plainly wrong and would work only if 2 units grounds interconnected elsewhere, like by PE wire in class I instruments. I believe you know this. I have many times experienced this wrong SE-bal cable interconnection without gnd wire used, resulting in hum/buzz or worse damaged input by excessive CMV voltage. And the designers seemed to not understand why. So it goes.

Toroid

So don't buy the monoprice cable then? I have a Schiit saga preamp, which I bought 8 months ago and I really do like it. Since this is getting very expensive for me, getting a freya S with the balanced outs is a tough pill to swallow. What is the best way to connect the saga to the Hypex monoblocks? Samson S-convert?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So don't buy the monoprice cable then? I have a Schiit saga preamp, which I bought 8 months ago and I really do like it. Since this is getting very expensive for me, getting a freya S with the balanced outs is a tough pill to swallow. What is the best way to connect the saga to the Hypex monoblocks? Samson S-convert?

The cable is OK as long as it is correctly connected. No need to get anything expensive, definitely not any sort of converter.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is how Bruno recommends doing it:

Screenshot from 2019-12-04 18-59-16.png

Toroid

So If I bought the preassembled monoblocks as-is and the monoprice SE to XLR cables, would I need to open up the Hypex box to do anything or should I be good to go out of the starting gate?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So If I bought the preassembled monoblocks as-is and the monoprice SE to XLR cables, would I need to open up the Hypex box to do anything or should I be good to go out of the starting gate?

No idea how the monoprice cables are connected, but if they are correctly connected, you should not need any modifications.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Toroid

No idea how the monoprice cables are connected, but if they are correctly connected, you should not need any modifications.

Sorry to be a pest, but do you have a link to a cable that you know for sure is put together properly?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to be a pest, but do you have a link to a cable that you know for sure is put together properly?

No, as I make my own cables, but it is easy to check with a $15 multimeter.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Below is the schematic of the Monoprice cable you referenced in post #24. It matches the schematic of the adapter cable recommended by Bruno (see post #32). Therefore, the Monoprice cable is exactly what you need.

cable.JPG

Top Bottom