• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY 2ch NC400, is it really as easy as it looks?

day7a1

Forum Donor
So I've been looking into amps but I have a few, um, esoteric, requirements. Notably, I want to rack mount it. Second, XLR inputs are a must. Ok, maybe that's not too weird, but it seems like there isn't much out there. Sure, the Benchmark AHB2 fits the bill nicely, but I don't need something THAT nice. What I really want is a Hypex NC400 build. The XLR is easy there, price is perfect, but the rackmount not so much.

I was looking at the Hypex page and some chassis pages and thinking that this is pretty much within my technical abilities. I'm sure if some electricians watched me use a solder iron they'd freak out, but the job would be done. I can crimp wire like no one's business!

What I don't quite get is how the IEC holes get stamped into the backplate of the amp chassis from sources like this chassis here? Or some of the other sockets that don't quite look "drillable"?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Modushop are the Italian manufacturer of the cases sold at diyaudiostore.com and both offer customization services for putting the holes in, engraving, printing etc. The main differentiator is probably shipping cost depending on which side of the Atlantic you live.

They use CNC machining for making the holes in the panels. You can buy punches for making neat holes for connectors so long as the metal's not too thick, but they're probably too expensive for a one off job - it would probably be cheaper to get a local engineering workshop to machine or laser cut the panel(s) for you. Another option is to see if you have a local fablab, hackspace or makerspace which has the proper tools and will show you how to use them.

Finally with a bit of care and a drill press you could probably do a presentable job yourself. Just take care marking out and centre punching before drilling! A crosshead vice will make life easier but isn't strictly necessary. For the IEC connector and other odd or large shapes you'd chain drill then file to size. Most panel and chassis mount connectors and switches will cover any small inaccuracies anyway as they sit on the outside of the panel and cover the edges of the hole. Just double check before ordering them, as some are designed to mount from behind the panel and won't cover anything.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is a build video that maybe of some help. According to some of the instructions on the AudioCircle thread, he can connect his speaker wires better to the amp's screw down terminal (not making a loop by attaching the wires on the opposite outsides of the terminals.). He also didn't twist his speaker wires.

Last edited:

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Check ebay for low cost chassis from China with iec cut out already provided. I did this for my ncore build (but not 19" rack sized)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a build video that maybe of some help. According to some of the instructions on the AudioCircle thread, he can connect his speaker wires better to the amp's screw down terminal (not making a loop by attaching the wires on the opposite outsides of the terminals.). He also didn't twist his speaker wires.

Yes, the way he does the speaker wires is definitely not the way to do it, and goes totally against the advice from Bruno.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The "official" Hypex mono NC 400 kits don't look hard to build as the boards are already populated. However, you can buy an assembled NC500 stereo amp for about the same amount from Nord. It might not measure as well, but it's the difference between fantastic and fantastic plus some.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The "official" Hypex mono NC 400 kits don't look hard to build as the boards are already populated. However, you can buy an assembled NC500 stereo amp for about the same amount from Nord. It might not measure as well, but it's the difference between fantastic and fantastic plus some.

What buffer circuits do the Nords use? The benefit of the nC400 is that it has the reference buffer circuit (designed by Bruno/Hypex) included.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The entire High End Audio magazines online or in print (not too many left), the High End audio Industry in general will unite and try to persuade many that these modules measure great but don't sound great ... Since this may not work or sit well with the DIY community they will try to show how the exact same modules but sprinkled with the sweat and knowledge of a Guru who would have added a Linear Power supply with Duende and Zigolev Capacitors and especially the discrete components Operational Amplifier buffer input is "Night and Day" superio with a better PRaT, wider soundstage, blacker blacks ... to the ignorami DIY efforts.

We are living in a Golden Age for Audio. Electronics components have reached a point where they challenge the most sensitive instruments leaving our ears behind. For all practical purposes, amps,DACs are transparent. Focus on speakers and ways to have them work better with our environnements/rooms. EQ, DRC, DSP are our friends.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The entire High End Audio magazines online or in print (not too many left), the High End audio Industry in general will unite and try to persuade many that these modules measure great but don't sound great ... Since this may not work or sit well with the DIY community they will try to show how the exact same modules but sprinkled with the sweat and knowledge of a Guru who would have added a Linear Power supply with Duende and Zigolev Capacitors and especially the discrete components Operational Amplifier buffer input is "Night and Day" superio with a better PRaT, wider soundstage, blacker blacks ... to the ignorami DIY efforts.

Indeed. We have to remember that magazine journalists tend to be English majors (if even that), not engineers/PhDs.

maty

Major Contributor
My advice:

If you already enjoy good sound, wait a few months to see the price of the new PURIFI 1ET400A class-D modules for DIY and what they think about their sound. The first users usually have unpleasant surprises in audio world. In ASR, they have surprises with some DAC.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/

Such is my case, with the new amp. If I take the step, then I would buy the RME ADI-2 DAC, the best option if you live in EU.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

maty

Major Contributor
At least there are a measure/data is much better that any class D amplifier I know (almost everyone hides it). To me is a very important data because I listen to music with acoustic instruments. and voices without software processing. And...

Data that does not appear in Amirm's review, I think. Not in the official specifications. :cool:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least there are a measure/data is much better that any class D amplifier I know (almost everyone hides it). To me is a very important data because I listen to music with acoustic instruments. and voices without software processing. And...

Data that does not appear in Amirm's review, I think. Not in the official specifications. :cool:
Questions need to be asked: What the heck are you talking about ? You have a gramophone? If not, here is a way to make one'

Last edited:
OP
day7a1

day7a1

Forum Donor
Electronics components have reached a point where they challenge the most sensitive instruments leaving our ears behind.

Honestly, I was also considering just getting a Crown AB for a couple hundred, I don't mind spending but I do hate wasting.

Toroid

If you really are into dyi, Modushop makes custom chassis at a relatively honest price.
Else, I strongly believe that we will see pre assembled solutions measuring better than NC400 and cheaper than ABH2 in the coming months.

Any of those options available yet? It's been a few months, :p

Also I am looking at going Hypex NC400, stereo in 1 chassis, single ended only. Do they make a kit for this and would it measure as well as the XLR monoblocks they have currently?

Top Bottom