• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Distortion Listening Test

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your personal distortion listening test results:
1619062025710.png

Test taken Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 10:27 pm

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I found it easier on the tones than the music. I did this particular test three times with my first one being a bit better than this (-48) and my second one being the worst.

Listening test.JPG

Listening TC.JPG

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My results. After two practice runs. I'll tell you for sure that I thought I was guessing at about 30dB, although I went a little deeper. I probably would have done better if I'd have taken the time to align my head with a WallyTractor, and put Sorbothane Tip Toes on my chair feet, before the test. Maybe a cork mat to sit on. I think that's the way Fremer does the test, when he knocks it out of the park. All 'subjective' reviewers should have to post their scores.

FWIW the setting was full range/twin tones using a Cambridge Audio DacMagical Plus headphone amp and closed back B&W P7 wired headphones. Nothing fancy.

Funny thing: from a 'qualitative' standpoint, at my lowest perceptual levels I thought the distorted tones sounded better than the clean tones. A little 'richer' and 'fuller'. Go figure.

klippel.jpg

k2.jpg

YSC

Major Contributor
Ran into this interesting listening test by Klippel with regards to how much distortion you can hear.

This is the link: http://www.klippel.de/listeningtest/lt/

Just casually wanting to see the test, I went with the defaults and for some reason, the levels were exceptionally low. I had to set my headphone level to max and only test with a sealed headphone to even hear it.

On second try, clicking on the volume check provided much, much louder signal but I did not run this test.

I also forgot to select a speaker model, going with "--". Not sure what that represents. There is interesting set of choices in the drop down.

Anyway, was taking the test and recording a snapshot from time to time and it all of a sudden quit on me saying I had run enough. This is my snapshot:

View attachment 29815

The thing is ruthless when you miss, sending you back good number of steps. Once I got a sense of it, I was making good progress until it terminated me at -30 dB. Strangely it says this was my results:

View attachment 29816

-6 dB??? I went to -27 and possibly -30.

Also strange to see a larger number of people (313) detecting -45 dB but not higher distortions above that???

Fascinating that 1921 people could not get past the highest level of 18 dB!!! We have a lot of deaf audiophiles and seemingly, speaker engineers.

I am not very clear what the Real Speaker anchor is doing in there. Is that typical distortion simulated for a speaker? If so, I am able to hear distortion of -30 dB below that?

Here is the only bit on it in the Klippel paper:

View attachment 29817

Anyway, take the test and take a snapshot as you go along as the summary results seems wrong. Don't be shy about the outcome. You won't be judged unless your first name is Thomas, or Sal....
klippel test screen cap.png

just came across this post after all these years lurking ASR, my first run with family watching TV faintly in the background room with the 2.1 system, seems not bad?

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I managed to get a perfect score using STAX SR-001 Mk2 IEMs and an RME ADI-2 DAC as a source.
I found that some of the "lower" distortion tests were easier to decipher than some "higher" distortion tests. Very strange.
I think this is a great ear trainer nonetheless!

View attachment 44895
Amazing test result. Does the test stop at -69dB? Also, did you really achieve this with pure listening? And not using any other cues people have mentioned here, like hissing and noise floor? Or did you have a look at the spectrum analyzer of your RME ADI-2?

DanTheMan

For the second attempt I let the HVAC relax after the first miss and tried again. This is all done with a generic dongle and $6 KZ IEMs from AE.
IMG_0004.png

IMG_0003.png

Top Bottom