• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Distortion in one loudspeaker only.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks chaps, if invited back I will take some amps, and report back.
Keith

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Exchange speakers.
Left one to the right.
Right one to the left.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Dull update:-
Took the Purifi monos around to the guy place, ,remeasured distortion is definitely in the speaker, my takeaway don’t buy valve amps or shit speakers.
The noise from the valves compared to the SS was just incredible, and although the speakers made a noise , the HF squawked and the bass was just a muddy thump.
The chap seems to enjoy it though.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I may have posted this already, but these particular speakers/amp were an ‘own brand’ commissioned by a retailer, who was purported to say that if there was space on the baffle then there was room for another driver.
Keith

Lenny

Hi

I have had that happen to me a few times.

The last time I heard distortion in one channel, I discovered the cause was in the source, with a particular song. I found out that there were others who had that recording experienced similar problems.

Another time, a number of years ago I heard distortion in only one channel. Checking the offending speaker, I found out it was due to a loose connection in the back of my speaker.

One other time (and this was long ago) I remember having this problem, I found out it was with the bass speaker. It had a small hairline crack. I had pushed those speakers pretty hard. I think the crack was the result.

I suppose I want to say it could be numerous issues causing this problem. My advice; take your time and don’t presupposes anything.

Good luck.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
All the advice has been most useful, I took the opportunity to check and tightenthe bolts on the driver too, the whole right speaker is down in output, image is way to the left.
I just don’t think they were very good loudspeakers to begin with and age hasn’t made them any better, re-sale value is I would imagine tiny.
Keith

Top Bottom