• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Distortion in one loudspeaker only.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Performed a quick measurement today on a neighbours system, the speakers were ‘Lumley ’ something or others, ribbon tweeter two 2” domes two 5” mids and a 10“ woofer, measurements were not spectacular, but what was striking was that one speaker had hugely worse distortion through the bass than the other, placement/background was more or less symmetrical , what might be causing that bass distortion apart from a faulty driver?
Thanks,
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Really large/heavy loudspeakers but that would be a start, do you remember Lumley speakers, weren’t they John Jeffries own brand?
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Even that wasn’t possible as the amps were huge ‘Lumley’ reference monoblocs, each a two man lift and the rears inaccessible .
Keith

pma

Major Contributor
So try different cables :D. And clean all the contacts.
Seriously, I would suspect amplifiers output relay first.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you only did one measurement, and it was in the bass only it could have been noise contamination. Did you re-measure getting the same result?
Also if you did this with REW a graph of each and maybe even the MDAT files attached might give us more information to work with.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
When I get back I wil pose the MDAT.
The room wasn’t any noisier for either measurement , the speakers I believe are not highly regarded,
1581701194517.jpeg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I get back I wil pose the MDAT.
The room wasn’t any noisier for either measurement , the speakers I believe are not highly regarded,
View attachment 50190
In low frequencies say 200 hz and especially 100 hz and below noise you might not notice can contaminate the distortion readings. Like a garbage truck the next block over. I literally have had such a truck cause what you are describing here. Re-did the measurement and the issue was gone. HVAC units cutting on or off next door can do a little of this. I don't know if you are comparing 1% on one channel vs 3% on the other or a larger difference.

Last edited:

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Performed a quick measurement today on a neighbours system, the speakers were ‘Lumley ’ something or others, ribbon tweeter two 2” domes two 5” mids and a 10“ woofer, measurements were not spectacular, but what was striking was that one speaker had hugely worse distortion through the bass than the other, placement/background was more or less symmetrical , what might be causing that bass distortion apart from a faulty driver?
Thanks,
Keith
It's your left ear, Keith. I'd get that looked into, if I were you.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It was the rarest of all things a Hi-Fi dealer ( trying) to do something for nothing.
I have read that Lumley used really poor quality drivers, and if there was space on the baffle then stick in another driver to fill it, whether that is true I can’t say these are pre-interweb .
Keith

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously, If you can't get to the back of the power amps, let's assume that the power amps are OK, as I can't think of a mechanism by which an amp would distort heavily at LF and not elsewhere.

So, you must have access to the preamp or source to make the measurement. So, swap L and R and make sure it's the 'speakers. If it is, then likely to be the driver. Try listening to just that one.

S

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Pluto

Forum Donor
Seriously though, one thing worth checking with older speakers is that the nuts clamping the drive units to the baffle are as tight as they ought to be - a torque wrench is your friend here. If a LF unit is not securely clamped it will 'rattle' to some extent and that could be the source of the distortion.

The other thing to check is that the unit hasn't gone slightly eccentric. If it has, this might be treatable by inverting the drive unit, with gravity 'encouraging' the sag in the opposite direction but usually, if sag has occurred, it's time to get the drive unit off to someone who could refurbish the thing. In such a case, it might be useful to get them both done.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably that the "bad" speaker has the driver badly placed in the box, the coil rattling or something like that. Can you open it and check?

Prana Ferox

Is the problem audible enough that you can play with stuff and tell it went away, or do you have to remeasure to check?

If inaudible, are the rest of the measurements good enough to make a snark hunt worthwhile?

Top Bottom