• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Distortion down to -300 dB, what exactly does that mean physically?

Music1969

Major Contributor
In the presentations I've seen where he talks about his listening tests they involve him listening sighted and then his young son listening sighted. I'd be happy to bet that's the only 'listening tests' he's done.

Well you'd be wrong in such a bet.

You mention things about people that are "well educated and accomplished" but shouldn't people know some facts before making up alternative facts?

The same thing you are accusing Rob of? :facepalm:

1627541543958.png

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In a proper test you don't prompt the subject. Where's the detail? How many passes? How many times did the son get it right? What other device was used to compare?

Claiming a blind test was done when it wasn't anything of the sort is the new 'wife heard it from the kitchen.'

Music1969

Major Contributor
In a proper test you don't prompt the subject. Where's the detail? How many passes? How many times did the son get it right? What other device was used to compare?

Obviously... and exactly why I wrote that I would love to witness these blind tests but we'll never know.

But you wrote the testing is not blind and that may not be correct ;-)

We'll never know, so let's not make up stuff

Music1969

Major Contributor
I might have missed one or two, but in Tier 1 of SINAD for DACs, I believe all but Mola Mola and Chord Qutest are using an off the shelf chip to handle D to A..

I don't think us armchair experts appreciate the difficultly in converting D to A with that kind of state of the art performance, not using an ESS/AKM/Cirrus/TI chip to do that part.

Rob writes some eyebrow raising things (without question) but he is clearly a very smart guy , when we measure the product.

Or look at all the APx555 plots he shares for all his DACs

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think nobody said it was easy, nor that Chord products are generally bad.

The guy can still be totally out there :cool:. The one does not prevent the other.

Last edited:

peterzuid

I sat in one of his presentations. When it finished, after him talking at length about proper way to do a listening test, I raised my hand and asked him if could pass any of these tests blind. To my surprise, he pushed way back saying blind tests were too stressful so he did not believe in them! I quit at that point. :)
Seems a reasonable and honest answer to me and it turns out you do not share the same opinion on blind tests. And what would be his interest ?

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
194dB would destroy your middle ear in one pulse. Also your house, your trees, your car, your land, your body. The point is simple, the only transducers that hit 194dB are military, and to be kept "far away from us".

*chuckles*
Great, now I want a military "subwoofer".
Bet that makes war movies feel as immersive as the real thing. :D

Reactions: j_j

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously... and exactly why I wrote that I would love to witness these blind tests but we'll never know.

But you wrote the testing is not blind and that may not be correct ;-)

We'll never know, so let's not make up stuff

We do know.

The fact is he hasn't blind tested his claim (having your son listen and cuing him as to what to hear is not a blind test) and the reason he hasn't blind tested his claim is because he already knows what the outcome would be.

That's why the manufacturers who make these astonishing claims never arrange a blind test. They could do and have their claims vindicated and sell more product as a result. But they don't. And yet I'm the one 'making stuff up'? I don't think so.

peterzuid

We do know.

The fact is he hasn't blind tested his claim (having your son listen and cuing him as to what to hear is not a blind test) and the reason he hasn't blind tested his claim is because he already knows what the outcome would be.

That's why the manufacturers who make these astonishing claims never arrange a blind test. They could do and have their claims vindicated and sell more product as a result. But they don't. And yet I'm the one 'making stuff up'? I don't think so.

Is this all that strange ? Remember I could clearly hear a difference feeding my streamer with a flac vs PCM. Doubting I asked my son to listen and after this he could exactly tell the streams apart (not knowing the stream I had selected). Just a reassurance there was an audible difference.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems a reasonable and honest answer to me and it turns out you do not share the same opinion on blind tests. And what would be his interest ?

What's with this opinion fetish that you have? There are facts in this world, not everything is an opinion. Sure, facts require an effort to find and to understand. Opinions require nothing but an idle mind.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this all that strange ? Remember I could clearly hear a difference feeding my streamer with a flac vs PCM. Doubting I asked my son to listen and after this he could exactly tell the streams apart (not knowing the stream I had selected). Just a reassurance there was an audible difference.

Sure you could :facepalm: Wanna do a controlled blind test? Or is that too stressful for you?

Geert

Major Contributor
First test is to see if his wife can hear it from the kitchen.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Break Through in Audio!!

I just changed the breaker in my power panel. I then fired up the system and you would not believe this! My wife who was "In the kitchen" walked out and stated with NO prompting. Wow! She said "That music sounds airy, smooth and the tempo is perfect. It is so liquidy that I think of chocolate syrup. The bass is smoothed out and the highs are like the sound is coming from angels". I was shocked!. She asked what I changed and I said a new breaker in the panel. She replied, "well now that you have done that, can you take out the garbage? She stated, I'm sure I will hear the increased dynamics in your system after the garbage is taken out.

I think she is making fun of subjectivists! She is mean like that!

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This will have no additional value for me, sorry.

No, of course not. You could be wrong, can't have that. Better to just stick to the dogma and belief.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This tells us a lot, though perhaps not what you intended to tell.

Some people have curiosity about what is real and what is imaginary, some people don’t. You are upfront that you’re in the latter group, and it’s a pretty large one. That’s why I have had less competition as a scientist for most of my career.:cool:

peterzuid

This tells us a lot, though perhaps not what you intended to tell.

Some people have curiosity about what is real and what is imaginary, some people don’t. You are upfront that you’re in the latter group, and it’s a pretty large one. That’s why I have had less competition as a scientist for most of my career.:cool:

Yes, As a manager I learned we can classify ourselves using the DISC model. Pretty sure you scored the C (Conscientious)
I scored a D and S (this is making me doubting) while I was a C in my youth.

By the way, we are getting a bit out of topic don't you think ? As you're being a C I'm sure you will agree to that one.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes, As a manager I learned we can classify ourselves using the DISC model. Pretty sure you scored the C (Conscientious)
I scored a D and S (this is making me doubting) while I was a C in my youth.

By the way, we are getting a bit out of topic don't you think ? As you're being a C I'm sure you will agree to that one.
Awwww, a sea lion!

Top Bottom