• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Distortion down to -300 dB, what exactly does that mean physically?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You must be living in science fiction because for sure what you are stating is not the real world !
Some people are aware and believe in the current science status, others are aware but don't.
Most people just follow the media and believe in what the news brings or not.
I even heard a president frequently yelling: "this is fake news"

I would like to challenge you to state a real fact concerning audio science you really believe in.....

Hmm, so your world view is determined by the opinions of the masses or the media? I prefer to find my own way, one that produces more predictable outcomes than the fairy magic believed in by those not willing to think for themselves.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hmm, so your world view is determined by the opinions of the masses or the media? I prefer to find my own way, one that produces more predictable outcomes than the fairy magic believed in by those not willing to think for themselves.
Sea lions live on fish. Provide fish and they thrive.

peterzuid

Here I think we share exactly the same opinion :) Shame, let's find something else to discuss about :mad:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Seems a reasonable and honest answer to me and it turns out you do not share the same opinion on blind tests. And what would be his interest ?
It is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of stablished audio research/science that we used controlled, blind tests to establish audibility. I have also taken countless blind tests on my own and know that it doesn't have to be stressful at all. What is the stress if no one is looking over your shoulder at home?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some people are aware and believe in the current science status, others are aware but don't.
Give us some examples other than audio where you believe in this and you practice such disregard of science.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
was3000-2small.jpg
That's not a subwoofer... THIS is a subwoofer: Danley Matterhorn.

Geert

Major Contributor
Are you telling what you want me to do ? What is the purpose ?
It was a suggestion to make you learn the difference between truth and opinion. I suggested this approach since you indicated this is your preferred way of learning:

Making mistakes are the best lessons though.

(Personally I prefer lessons that prevent me from making mistakes).

But as always you steer around the true content of the question or message, a typical behaviour of trolls. Don't know what else it is you're doing here, as your opinions have zero traction over here.

Geert

Major Contributor
I would like to challenge you to state a real fact concerning audio science you really believe in.....

Sustained sound levels above 135dB at close distance damage your ears.

This time put your money where your mouth is and effectively test it to verify if it's true or not. Talk is cheap.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You're aware that article was a hoax, right?

No I was not ;) I was secretly hoping it was though. At least he was an early “adopter”. Sadly, nowadays some sciences are fully infected with this postmodern bullshit :mad:. And they still haven’t learned anything.

Last edited:

peterzuid

Give us some examples other than audio where you believe in this and you practice such disregard of science.
The actual scientific models of the universe describe the existence of dark matter and dark energy. Frankly I don't think they exist at all and will never be found. In the mean time we are spending serious money on finding black matter here on earth based on science of the universe.
I do not say this is wrong, but it is just something I do not believe in (my opinion) . The same goes for the big bang theory. Do I have a fundamental other scientific explanation ?,; NO.

In case you feel it is disregarding I have my opinion not in line with this science, so be it. I cannot help you with that.
And whatever my opinion is, I'm sure the scientific community can handle it.:)

Happy to see audio2design came up with Eric Verlinde in the mean time, a scientist who explains the movements in the universe caused by quantum mechanics could be an alternative scientific theory of the universe. Although his ideas are far from being accepted, I like this approach.

peterzuid

It is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of stablished audio research/science that we used controlled, blind tests to establish audibility. I have also taken countless blind tests on my own and know that it doesn't have to be stressful at all. What is the stress if no one is looking over your shoulder at home?

You seem obsessed with this blind test thing and you're not able to talk Rob Watts into it.
I don't think complaining will make it any better, do you ?

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The actual scientific models of the universe describe the existence of dark matter and dark energy.

They are exactly that: models. Those models work for the observations done. The dark stuff is just a hypothesis of what might be going on. It's not a proven fact, nor a scientific theory. There is no truth here yet. In any case, these "words" are more like placeholders for the unknown than actual concepts.

Frankly I don't think they exist at all and will never be found.

You might very well be right. I'm inclined to think so as well, and so are a lot of other physicists. It's not really a very controversial topic nowadays.

In the mean time we are spending serious money on finding black matter here on earth based on science of the universe.

Yes, so we can (in)validate the hypothesis. Whatever the outcome, the result is relevant.

Last edited:

audio2design

Major Contributor
I see this crap go on in "subjective" sites. People using things we are unsure of like dark matter as some holy grail of the frailty of science and then using that as an excuse to make assertions about sound and oh cables, fuses, etc. It don't work that way. Something we don't know does not change what we do. In fact, I see that same stupid dark matter argument regularly raised by a rather obsessed and somewhat disturbed individual on Audiogon, so how about we just keep that nonsense there and stick to relevant things there? Most of those sites are a living illustration of the Dunning-Kruger effect. A select, active and loud group waxing, usually not too eloquently, about things they quite obviously have no real understanding of, and always with great confidence. The huddled masses nod knowingly, or is that sycophantically (I just made that up). Always a hoot as they quickly reject science if it does not support their conclusions, but latching onto science like a rabid crocodile if it suits them, even if that science is not related and or does not say what they think it means. And such confidence do they exude, as illustrated by Dunning-Kruger decades ago of those with no clue what they are talking about, but confident in their own infallibility no matter how misplaced.

Low performers are unable to recognize the skill and competence levels of other people, which is part of the reason why they consistently view themselves as better, more capable, and more knowledgeable than others.

"In many cases, incompetence does not leave people disoriented, perplexed, or cautious," wrote David Dunning in an article for Pacific Standard. "Instead, the incompetent are often blessed with an inappropriate confidence, buoyed by something that feels to them like knowledge."

Sound familiar?

No matter how good Chord products are, Rob Watts is playing on the Dunning Kruger effect to generate sales.

Last edited:
Top Bottom