• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dislike/not helpful button

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICantHearYou

We have a like button on threads/comments which is great. Why isn't there a dislike/not-helpful button as well? See screenshot from another forum. As a serial thread comments reader, this would be incredibly helpful to see the validity of comments especially on a given topic.

dislike.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It was there for a time. It was abused. New users would show up who disagreed with the whole idea of ASR. Then mark every single comment with a dislike for people posting that uncontrolled listening wasn't the ultimate arbiter of what is true.

Soria Moria

It would probably get missused a lot yes. But a funny/laugh react would be very useful for when people write silly things.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I would suggest a "help" or "useful" button instead.
"like" is too broad,I press it all the time even for a good joke but "help" is a whole other league.

Pe8er

Forum Donor
It was there for a time. It was abused. New users would show up who disagreed with the whole idea of ASR. Then mark every single comment with a dislike for people posting that uncontrolled listening wasn't the ultimate arbiter of what is true.
Just playing devil's advocate:

Isn't such behavior a reflection of how things really are? We do and say controversial things over here, which many people don't like. If we don't allow them to express their views, we end up sheltering ourselves and this place from dissenting positions. We may become less aware of them (both positions and their authors), which may result in us neglecting one of the most important duties of this forum, i.e. education.

Beyond the above, usually discussions over here are fantastic to read, sometimes they go offtopic and I see every now and then people become less than excellent to each other. Right now the only solution is to call the authorities (Report feature → mods roll in with the big guns). I think a "dislike" feature would provide an effective tool for the community to self-regulate. And make mods' lives easier.

I believe it's possible to implement such feature and prevent / limit abuse. Here's a few ideas:

1. Don't call it "Dislike". That implies a quick, emotional reaction. I think "Helpful" / "Unhelpful" would be worth a try. (Ha, @Sokel beat me to it)
2. Implement a time limit between uses, let's say one reaction per 10 seconds. It's more than enough to be a deterrent for the emotional, who are usually also impatient.
3. Implement a confirmation step, especially for the "unhelpful" function. Test it vs #2 above, both features most likely would be too annoying.
4. Implement a reporting system, e.g. mods should be notified if one particular user "disliked" many posts in a short amount of time, or "disliked" many posts by one particular user.
5. To @Soria Moria 's point -- it would be helpful to also have a "Funny" reaction too. There is a lot between helpful and unhelpful.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just playing devil's advocate:

Isn't such behavior a reflection of how things really are? We do and say controversial things over here, which many people don't like. If we don't allow them to express their views, we end up sheltering ourselves and this place from dissenting positions. We may become less aware of them (both positions and their authors), which may result in us neglecting one of the most important duties of this forum, i.e. education.

Beyond the above, usually discussions over here are fantastic to read, sometimes they go offtopic and I see every now and then people become less than excellent to each other. Right now the only solution is to call the authorities (Report feature → mods roll in with the big guns). I think a "dislike" feature would provide an effective tool for the community to self-regulate. And make mods' lives easier.

I believe it's possible to implement such feature and prevent / limit abuse. Here's a few ideas:

1. Don't call it "Dislike". That implies a quick, emotional reaction. I think "Helpful" / "Unhelpful" would be worth a try. (Ha, @Sokel beat me to it)
2. Implement a time limit between uses, let's say one reaction per 10 seconds. It's more than enough to be a deterrent for the emotional, who are usually also impatient.
3. Implement a confirmation step, especially for the "unhelpful" function. Test it vs #2 above, both features most likely would be too annoying.
4. Implement a reporting system, e.g. mods should be notified if one particular user "disliked" many posts in a short amount of time, or "disliked" many posts by one particular user.
5. To @Soria Moria 's point -- it would be helpful to also have a "Funny" reaction too. There is a lot between helpful and unhelpful.
In theory yes, in practice no.

When we had that feature there was someone posted the usual firm declarations about us being misguided by not trusting our ears. A newer member. I didn't do anything outlandish other than disagree. Then reply with some reasons why I disagreed. Thought I was very cordial. The member followed my posts and it made no difference what I posted he "disliked" it. Even where someone asked a question for help on info about gear where I gave an answer. He made a little hobby of that. So it was no discourse, no views expressed by him, no counterpoint. Just dislikes on everything I and a few others posted with stubborn declarations we were wrong. That is it. He was not the only one to do such a thing. Now I was not bothered too much by that behavior, but it does break the usefulness of feedback. Even when he was being honest to my knowledge that he disliked almost everything many of us posted. Made me wonder why he and a few like him bothered to be here. In time he decided to become belligerent in his alternate views disrupting useful discussions and was banned.

Maybe some other system could be implemented. Maybe if you could give a post ratings where if someone wishes they can grade it 0 to 10, and display the average rating or something. As it is maybe it follows the principle if you cannot say something good don't say anything at all. If you have some reasoned discourse with other ideas you'll need a post anyway. A graded like-dislike scale won't replace that.

Sokel

Master Contributor
It's obvious when a post is disliked... as it has no likes, simples. The way it is is fine and is also the way Amir wants it, it's his place.

JSmith
Most of the time "like" is not about the post but about the user who wrote it.
Being "useful" might change that.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
shades of Youtube removing the downvotes

i feel like downvoting really helps no one

i'd be the first to admit there are many regulars here who are incessantly negative and some un-naturally hate just about everything

this is endemic on any gathering place where alleged experts and 'passionate people' conserve

and so these people would revel in getting 'negs'

and i'm ok with that... people are people and i think our expectation should be that goods are of merchantable quality and that people ask questions that incite healthy discussion and not stuff that can be found on google

people should strive for high level discussion... negs do not facilitate that

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
. If we don't allow them to express their views, we end up sheltering ourselves and this place from dissenting positions.

We allow people to use their words.

Adding some kind of downvote isn't going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom