• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FR: Ignore Thread Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexspa

Hi. I think this forum would benefit from an Ignore Thread feature. When I used the Report function to ask, the response I got had the completely unnecessary and rude comment: “We’re not in church.” Now I don’t know why this anonymous person would say such a thing - I certainly never mentioned religion - but this is really objectionable.

This is really two requests:

1. We can ignore threads
2. Our discrete efforts are treated respectfully

I’ll have you know that the contents of a particular thread on this board contributes to some extent to three million preventable global deaths per year. There’s no need for communion to understand this is a medical issue and a scientific measurement.

Making pithy comments in avoidance of the seriousness of this issue only shows immaturity, insensitivity and arrogance which will almost surely result in more pain to those who speak this way.

Please consider my requests,

Thank you.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it too much to ask what thread you're talking about?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ignore threads all the time. No feature needed AFAIC.
I agree, although it's because I have no interest or knowledge of the thread subject. Seldom am I offended.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can "unfollow" a thread if you've been roped into it. No more alerts. It will show up as updated, but you can judge from the title whether you want to click through or not.

OP
H

Hexspa

Is it too much to ask what thread you're talking about?
I’d rather not say. My goal isn’t to judge or shame those who engage in such practices but to enable those who struggle with this particular behavior to manage their environment.

OP
H

Hexspa

I ignore threads all the time. No feature needed AFAIC.
Yes but one thing: this is a very emotionally-charged issue. An addiction even - a disease! I’m not using hyperbole, these are medically-accepted facts.

Why am I saying this? Were it not so, why would this anonymous moderator - someone who’s been entrusted with the reasonable welfare of this internet property - react and make such a ridiculous statement: “this isn’t church”? My view is that it’s precisely the reasons above.

Therefore, because this is an issue around which people can not control themselves, enabling users to control their environment is right. I’m not saying delete the thread, ban the users - no! Only this: enable users to have the kind of experience on ASR they choose and not the one which is chosen for them. This is not a unique idea, other forums have this feature. We are a myriad community and, for myself, I don’t want to see this thread every time I click “new posts”. For sure I am not alone in this.

It is simply a well-reasoned, respectful request.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
When I used the Report function to ask, the response I got had the completely unnecessary and rude comment: “We’re not in church.” Now I don’t know why this anonymous person would say such a thing

Well, your report on a quite popular thread (regarding Beer, started by the original moderator) told me how "alcohol is a poison and a blight on humanity" so I gave the response you got.

If you don't want to participate in a thread, by all means don't.

OP
H

Hexspa

You can "unfollow" a thread if you've been roped into it. No more alerts. It will show up as updated, but you can judge from the title whether you want to click through or not.
This is true but it’s a popular thread which is continually “above the fold” when one clicks on the “new posts” button. I guess you could say “it’s always a click away”. And, in the end, it has virtually nothing to do with audio.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is true but it’s a popular thread which is continually “above the fold” when one clicks on the “new posts” button. I guess you could say “it’s always a click away”. And, in the end, it has virtually nothing to do with audio.
There are parts of this forum that covers things not audio related.. e.g. photography, humor, cars, current events; there is a thread on gliders planes... etc...

Peace.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This will sound harsh. I'm not even going to be apologetic.

If you are so sensitive you cannot ignore such threads yourself, we are not responsible. You have to do what is best for you. Don't ask everyone else to bend their behavior for your particular issues.

Apropos of nothing.

And pertinent to the thread content.

OP
H

Hexspa

Well, your report on a quite popular thread (regarding Beer, started by the original moderator) told me how alcohol is a poison and a blight on humanity, so I gave the response you got.

If you don't want to participate in a thread, by all means don't.
It is a poison and a blight on humanity. No pastor told me to say that - I (and countless others) know from first-hand experience. I made one post on that thread to encourage people to quit drinking and that’s it. You chose to introduce religion which shows your associations and rationalizations for rejecting my request. By saying “so I gave the response you got” almost implies that I controlled you somehow. No, you chose to bring it up. Alcohol is absolutely an addictive poison. It’s my opinion that it’s a blight on humanity, fine.

Imagine a world where alcohol was not sold on every corner, associated with culture, a pathological economic driver, and a normalized addiction. It sounds crazy but we have made this world as it is.

Alcohol diminishes your ability to listen accurately to audio. It seems counter to the premise of this website to discuss drinking it at all.

Anyway, I’m not for censorship but I am for freedom. Freedom includes being able to electronically ignore threads. It’s a reasonable request and I did not intend person disrespect to anyone or any group by calling alcohol a poisonous blight. It’s simply a toxic substance which has done tremendous, almost unfathomable harm to our species. Regardless, enabling an Ignore Thread feature is simply a reasonable counter measure which will be largely invisible to anyone who wishes to indulge.

Thanks

OP
H

Hexspa

There are parts of this forum that covers things not audio related.. e.g. photography, humor, cars, current events; there is a thread on gliders planes... etc...

Peace.
Yes but there’s no Model Planes Anonymous and for good reason. Drinking alcohol and taking pictures are simply not similar activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom