• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Directional washers

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
278920621_10158399017952077_2005775410015880247_n.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol... I worked assembling the electrical/electronic systems for drilling rigs and YES the washers must be put on in the most eye pleasing direction with the shiny rounded side facing the viewer. :D Some people get very testy about this stuff. Those that assembled the rigs in the most eye pleasing manner and with the most integrity of the wiring commanded a higher price for the finished product. Customers would pay more for certain people to wire their rig. So the management and engineers where very aware of whom was the most fastidious and careful about their workmanship in making the drilling rigs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought you want the rounded side toward the material you cared more about as to not mar the surface.
The washer inner hole tends to bend inward and the outer edge bends out no matter what direction they are mounted. We had the washer discussion @ work...lol... and it was decided to use the shiny side reference. If any scrapes or such occurred we had a full industrial paint shop to handle all manner of any work required and so we cared about paint scrapes and such but we knew we had the paint shop to fall back on if anything was required.

The ones he has pictured there are not directional. It is true that some have a better finish on one side. Or have gotten that way from previous assembly.

It's a JOKE folks!
Washers are serious business! :p

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes washers are directional. The flat edge goes inwards to the edge whilst the rounded edge goes outside. Prove me wrong. :p:p:p:p:p

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the (large) customers of the company I worked for demands Nord-Lock washers and ring lugs for all power electrical connections.

O cool. I've had 1/2 of one of those Nord lock washers and was very interested to see what it came from. Now I know. :D

astr0b0y

One of the (large) customers of the company I worked for demands Nord-Lock washers and ring lugs for all power electrical connections.
Most enjoyable video I have watched in some time! Need to try this kind of locking washer on RC helis - they vibrate and loosen nuts very effectively.

AudiOhm

The flat surface goes against the flat surface...

Ohms

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With the assemblage of washer experts.....what's the proper placement of a locking washer? Split type or otherwise....

OP
gene_stl

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I once took apart a Swiss made Wild microscope. I was removing the focusing mount to adjust it and had to get off the scope body which was held on by three 3mm thread diameter socket head cap screws. The threads were ABSOLUTELY LOCKED. The heads damaged some high quality allen keys and torqued out.

I cradled the scope in a drill press and drilled out the socket heads. to below where they joined the threaded shaft. Naturally the scope head lifted right off. There were three "studs" sticking up . They all three unscrewed by finger easily. I was amazed. I had imagined that there was some manner of loctite holding the threads.

What there actually was when I collected all the pieces from the drill press deck was three of those double lock washers. These were swiss made and when driven home were NOT coming undone. I found the Nordlocks to put on for the reassembly. Live and learn.
From either Graingers or Fastenal

It WAS a joke folks.:cool::p:rolleyes:

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Washers are directional as stated: The flat edge goes inwards to the edge whilst the rounded edge goes outside. So are nuts. There is usually a flat side to a nut (although it may have been manufactured with a flat side on both sides), in which case it can go on either way.
If you didn't know these things from empirical knowledge, from it being passed down to you by your parents or people you work around, some manufacturers of fasteners sometimes have seminars on proper use of said fasteners. Also Technical Colleges sometimes sponsor a seminar with a fastener manufacturer. I had to attend one as part of my education (because the technical college knew that many folks coming to school there do not attain this type of knowledge elsewhere).

Top Bottom