• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Directional washers

D

Deleted member 46664

With the assemblage of washer experts.....what's the proper placement of a locking washer? Split type or otherwise....

Generally? Between the bolt head or nut and the surface it's clamping.
The don't do much good when you put them beside the bolt.

JSmith

Master Contributor
giphy.gif

776.jpg

:cool:

JSmith

Loathecliff

Generally? Between the bolt head or nut and the surface it's clamping.
The don't do much good when you put them beside the bolt.
Miffed. I thought of that one first and was about to post my wisdom!! :mad:
but I got distracted by a sporting cat, and she always takes priority; (as does Lady Loathecliff).
Washers can be quite finicky. Spacer shims on differential carrier bearings are far more versatile. They can be folded in half and slotted in after........allegedly..(where is the whistling emoji?)

Edited for typos and missing words; but it's still a rubbish post.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
I thought you want the rounded side toward the material you cared more about as to not mar the surface.
Yes. /No. :) I default to the rounded side out, unless the surface matters more. [motorbikes. The sharp edges scratch the paint on the frame. And when you polish them /buff them, the back side takes too much work.]

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
With the assemblage of washer experts.....what's the proper placement of a locking washer? Split type or otherwise....

Material, washer, split washer, bolt head. That’s how I learned it in the ‘80s.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Yeah but which side pointing up on the lock/split washers ? :)

Split washers are not directional, but you need to make sure the bolt goes through the bore of the washer. Also, on any given panel, the splits in all the split washers need to point in the same direction. What direction that is depends on the hemisphere you’re living on.

Top Bottom